Advice on beginners iKegger system

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking at that I’d put it up on a couple of Bessel blocks. Would give you the height, would be solid and secure. In addition you will not have problems associated with a tower which will be hard to cool on hot days. If you get snap lock type taps and shanks the taps can be disconnect and stored in the fridge nice and cold until needed.

I used to have that fridge as my kegerator. I had the taps in the door and had no problems pouring from them, though I'm not quite as tall as you and only have a cat to worry about.

You can fit a 9 litre keg on the hump quite easily if you wanted 3 taps. Two 9 litre kegs will fit if you cut away some of the door insulation. I had my gas on the outside, going in through the side to a manifold stuck to the back wall which worked well.

Looking at that I’d put it up on a couple of Bessel blocks. Would give you the height, would be solid and secure. In addition you will not have problems associated with a tower which will be hard to cool on hot days. If you get snap lock type taps and shanks the taps can be disconnect and stored in the fridge nice and cold until needed.

I've been thinking about your idea Grott, and I suspect it's the way that I'll go. A stand for the fridge to get it up higher, and a couple of taps straight out the side. If I go out the left side facing the bigger fridge in the photos, then the taps will be protected from general traffic walking past the fridge. But maybe I'll put them through the door. Will decide once they're here.

I like the idea of the snap lock taps. I've been hunting around, and I've got no idea what I need for them though. Seems not many places sell them? I think I need:

Are the snaplock shanks auto-sealing? IE, they close up when you disconnect the tap like a air compressor fitting?

It's all getting pretty expensive though - ~$115 for just the one tap and shank assembly. I might just go with a standard shank and tap for now, and then upgrade to the snaplock fittings later.

I used to have that fridge as my kegerator. I had the taps in the door and had no problems pouring from them, though I'm not quite as tall as you and only have a cat to worry about.

You can fit a 9 litre keg on the hump quite easily if you wanted 3 taps. Two 9 litre kegs will fit if you cut away some of the door insulation. I had my gas on the outside, going in through the side to a manifold stuck to the back wall which worked well.

Great to hear that you've used this same fridge Rambo. I think I will be copying your style and having the taps through the door or the side. Glad to hear it worked well for you.

I'm keen to get a little 9L keg later on for camping, and it'd be handy to be able to use it at home. Might be a good upgrade down the track - I'll make sure to leave room for a third tap.

Gas-wise, I was planning on having the bottle inside the fridge just to keep everything self-contained, but I realise it'll be a pain to turn it on and off. Maybe I should mount it outside.

Thanks for the help again guys - I'm learning a bucket load as we go.

Still waiting on a reply from Cheeky Peak to some of my questions, then hopefully I'll be able to order some of the kit and we'll get moving. In good news, I ran both new fridges for a day, and both of them work amazingly well. Pretty chuffed so far.

Cheers gents,
Matt

Yes snap locks are self sealing, work on same principle as your keg post and disconnect.
You should be able to get an assembly cheap than that. Perhaps someone/sponsor could assist.

Thanks Grott - makes perfect sense.

In a fit of "Let's just do this", I've given the old credit card a hammering. Aus Post will be bringing me:
  • 2 x used 19L kegs
  • 8m of 4mm ID / 8mm OD beer and gas line
  • 2 x gas disconnects
  • 2 x beer disconnects
  • 1 x regulator
  • 1 x intertap SS fc tap w/ handle
  • 70mm shank
Hopefully that gear will be good enough to start with at any rate. Decided to go with just the one tap to start with - keep the price down for now. Will pick up another couple of kegs and a second tap in a month or two's time.

Has ended up being a bit more expensive than I originally anticipated, but not by an awful lot (thankfully).

Thanks to everyone for your help so far.

Now - to weld up a frame for the bar fridge...

cheers,
Matt

Good one Matto-FNQ. Buying better the first time usually pays of. If you don’t think anyone will knock the tap/s I’d put them in the door.
1. No cooling coils to worry about and easy to do
2. Easy access to clean lines/tap ect
3. Doesn’t tangle, get caught up, get in way of your kegs

So all my kit arrived today.

Turns out the 2 kegs that I've bought DON'T fit in the little Westinghouse bar fridge. What a shame. I'm guessing there must be different sizes in the 19L keg market.

SO - do I look to:
  1. Try and sell the kegs, and buy different kegs that fit in the fridge, or
  2. Keep the kegs, sell the bar fridge before I drill holes in it, and upgrade to a bigger fridge or a chest freezer?

It'll fit one keg, but that's all. I really wanted to at least have a second keg in the fridge chilling down so I could swap it on when the first one blows.

I'll have to have a think. I like option 2, but there's no cheap freezers for sale here at the moment. I'd like a new one, but not sure the budget would stretch to ~$300 plus another $50 for a temp controller.

Oh well. I've got a brew fermenting in the big fridge at the moment - it'll still have ~4 days left. I was planning to CC it for a week, so I've got some time to sort something out for a dispensing fridge.

This must be why people pay the money to buy a pre-made kegerator and avoid the hassle :D .

Cheers and beers,
Matt

IMG_1516352797.905219.jpg

This is the go mate you will never look back, inflatable swan is optional of course.

Only interested if the swan comes with it :D

That does look good. Might be the way I go. The timber collar really makes it look a lot nicer than just a freezer.

I have been looking at coffin keezers, but I'm guessing they have similar heat-loss issues to a font. I've been trawling FB ads and gumtree, but no one's selling any cheap chest freezers up here at the moment. The second-hand ones that are around are almost the same price as brand new. I'm sure something will come up soon.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Cheers,
Matt

Back