Advice Needed..

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sluggerdog

Beer In Here
Reaction score
Hey,

I make up the following 8 days ago now and it has been sitting between temperatures of 21-24C approx since then.

Ingredients
- Morgans Canadian Light
- 250 Light Malt
- 250 Corn Syrup
- 500 Dextrose
- 12g Tettnanger Hops
- Standard yeast with the can (Probably ALE yeast)

Now is has been 8 days and the final gravity has stabalised at 1.010, it is now the time for me to bulk prime and bottle, HOWEVER, I have been doing some reading on 2nd fermentation and COLD CONDITIONING and so I thought it might be a good idea for me to try something like this.

I would like to know what would be the best thing for me to do out of the following:

A. Bulk prime and bottle as normal
B. Rack into a second fermenter and put in the fridge for 2 weeks
C. Rack into the second fermenter and leave it in the same temperature I have had it in now for the last week for 2 more weeks.

I want to do B however I'm not sure if this would be the best thing for the brew. If I do go ahead with B should I put an airlock in this while it is in the fridge or just leave it with the lid on tight? (have a spare airlock ready and waiting)

ALSO do I need to monitor the temperate in the fridge or just let it sit there for 2 weeks as is?

Any comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Heaps
SD :)

Sluggerdog

B. Rack into a second fermenter and put in the fridge for 2 weeks, then

A. Bulk prime and bottle as normal

Don't bother with an airlock and transfer carefully to avoid oxidation.

So as it has finished fermenting I don't need an airlock on the 2nd fermenter? Thats great news.

Would this be classed as primary then skipping secondary and stright to cold conditiong and then bulk priming?

What about the temperature? Should it be fine as is in the fridge or should I go down the the shop and get a stick on thermometer?

Thanx RobW

Do B...

But...Dry hop with Hallertaue in the second fermenter for 2 weeks

Normal fridge temp - anywhere between 2-8 degrees - i go around 5 is good.

Hope this helps

Depends how you define secondary I guess. I'd call it cold conditioning. Don't worry about a stick on - the fridge temp will be fine.

Hallertaue and Tettnanger make a good mix?

My local HBS said to just do the Tettnanger as I'm sure that is what he likes, I have never tried either so have no idea.

IMHO - I think they are a good mix.

Hallertae is aromatic and a good dry hop.

SD,
If you dry hop, you should try to get some Hallertau pellets, and dry hop in the secondary / cold conditioner with pellets rather than a 12g teabag. If you do use a teabag, steep it in some pre-boiled water first to ensure that you get the most out of the teabag.
I sometimes find that if I add pellets to secondary you may get some airlock action so I use an airlock in the fridge - besides, fridges are a shocking breeding ground for bacteria so whatever you do, make sure you have a good seal before you leave your wort in the fridge, whatever you decide to do...
Cheers,
TL

My vote is also for option 2.

I reckon it is a little too warm in Brisbane ATM to leave your beer any longer than absolutely necessary at ambient. Ideally, you would already be thinking about fermenting your ales in a spot which you can keep below 20C all day and night.

dreamboat

Just went down and got some Hallertae hops, not a tea bag but a 12gm bag so I will soak in hot water then add to the second fermenter, I think I will use the airlock... just in case... it cannot hurt.. can it? :unsure:

Thanx for your help!

Just thought of another Question

With Commercial beer, it seems to taste crap if it goes HOT then COLD then HOT then COLD etc

SO what about HB? Will it be ok once it is finished in the fridge to come out into bottles and sit in the house in boxes or do I have to keep it in the fridge from then on?

CHEERS

sluggerdog said:
Just thought of another Question

With Commercial beer, it seems to taste crap if it goes HOT then COLD then HOT then COLD etc

SO what about HB? Will it be ok once it is finished in the fridge to come out into bottles and sit in the house in boxes or do I have to keep it in the fridge from then on?

CHEERS
I asked a sales manager of CUB a few years ago , if beer has been chilled , will it have any ill effect if its bought back to room temp and re chilled. He assured me not. The only problem he said is if the beer had been frozen , then it will be effected once its been bought back to room temp and re chilled.

hmm... not too convinsing though as it has happened to me on a few ocasions where the beer went hot/cold/hot/cold and it was a different taste.

anyone else CC then put in bottles to store at room temperature?

I cold condition quite a bit before bottling.
My bottles sit in a cellar under the house - 18C all the time and they are fine to me! Just try to pick a room that is on the blindside to the sun and then chuck the bottles in a dark spot or a closet/wardrobe. Light strike is an issue (eg sunlight on bottles through a window) so if you can store the beer in a cool, dark corner, out of the sun and away from the heat, then you'll be fine.

Cheers,
TL

What should I wear today I wonder... hmmm I wouldn't mind a beer! :chug: Now what was I going to wear today... hmm... :chug:
:D

GMK said:
Do B...

But...Dry hop with Hallertaue in the second fermenter for 2 weeks

Normal fridge temp - anywhere between 2-8 degrees - i go around 5 is good.

Hope this helps
Cheers GMK, Just tried the mix of hops and it is beautiful, I LOVE IT!!~

Very Happy indeed, will have to make a batch to put in my new keg asap..

P.S Thanks for the parts!

Mate, dry hopping is bloody great i reckon, but i would use a hop bag, as i've just kegged a fine batch of english pale that i dry hopped with fuggles pellets, and bugger me, the bloody thing is partly clogged. No big drama, but could easily have been avoided if i'd used a hop bag.

Back