Advice needed : Koziosko Pale Ale Clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrGibbon

Reaction score
Hey Guys, If im going to give this ago, and the biggest container I have is a 10L for doing the boil in, should I up the hops additions or anything else?

Thanks in advance.

Koziosko Pale Ale Clone

Coopers Aus Pale Ale 1.7KG
Coopers Light Malt 1.5KG
100G Munich
100G Crystal
15g Galaxy @ 15
15g Pride of ringwood @10
15g Pride @ 5
15G Galaxy @ 0
US-05

60 min boil

I'd be dropping the munich with it needing mashing, and also 100g will not impart much of a flavour anyways.

Also, you can cut the boil back from 60min to 15min, just long enough for your hop additions.

I'd also look at getting rid of the POR hops and just sticking with galaxy for a fruity finish.

MrGibbon said:
...should I up the hops additions...
I would suggest not...I did a ~7 litre boil when making a DSGA a while back, and upped the hops using the "Hop Concentration Factor" and boil volume in Ianh's spreadsheet (which I believe uses the Garetz method). It came out a lot more bitter than expected...not necessarily a bad thing, but unexpected.

There's a general agreement in the K&E spreadsheet thread that if you're getting towards 10 litre boils, stick with the recipe's hop dosage rates. Of course you might decide after drinking the beer that you want to up it for next time. IBU's and bitterness perception are dependant on so many factors it's impossible for any formula to hit it spot on...what matters is your enjoyment of the beer.

In Fletcher's AG Kosciuzko PA recipe thread, it was suggested to use a 60 minute addition of super alpha instead of por
I made an AG batch on Saturday with por, as MHB didn't have any super alpha
For a 23 litre batch, my additions looked like this
0.6 g/L Pride of Ringwood (10% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
0.4 g/L Galaxy (14% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
0.4 g/L Galaxy (14% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)

Ditch the POR and the grain. You have 1.5kg of malt on top of the can and the can is about 28ibu. Galaxy is a very over powering hop even at low IBU's.

cheers

MrGibbon said:
Hey Guys, If im going to give this ago, and the biggest container I have is a 10L for doing the boil in, should I up the hops additions or anything else?

Thanks in advance.

Koziosko Pale Ale Clone

Coopers Aus Pale Ale 1.7KG
Coopers Light Malt 1.5KG
100G Munich
100G Crystal
15g Galaxy @ 15
15g Pride of ringwood @10
15g Pride @ 5
15G Galaxy @ 0
US-05

60 min boil
Kosciuszko not Koziosko but thats not going to help :p
No point boiling your kit really. The bitterness is already there. Sponges answer is great advice. Especially the POR - its one of the hops I really cant tolerate late. It makes beer taste like river water IMHO.
Just use the galaxy late, but go easy too. It can be overpowering. I do an 'all Australian' IPA that uses galaxy late and at 1g/L @ 5mins, it took about a month to mellow enough to really enjoy. You have 30g of galaxy in the last 15 minutes in what I assume will be ~20L. A bit much in my opinion.
As for the crystal, maybe go for medium as Kosciusko has a bit of a caramel flavour and is a lightish amber colour.

mckenry said:
Kosciuszko not Koziosko but thats not going to help :p
No point boiling your kit really. The bitterness is already there. Sponges answer is great advice. Especially the POR - its one of the hops I really cant tolerate late. It makes beer taste like river water IMHO.
Just use the galaxy late, but go easy too. It can be overpowering. I do an 'all Australian' IPA that uses galaxy late and at 1g/L @ 5mins, it took about a month to mellow enough to really enjoy. You have 30g of galaxy in the last 15 minutes in what I assume will be ~20L. A bit much in my opinion.
As for the crystal, maybe go for medium as Kosciusko has a bit of a caramel flavour and is a lightish amber colour.
I'm gonna guess he was boiling the LME...

sp0rk said:
I'm gonna guess he was boiling the LME...
Possibly and with the steeped grains liquid. Still only need to get it to the boil and add 15mins hops.

yeah, basically I was going to dump the whole lot in a pot, bring it to a rolling boil, then start a 15 min boil for the hop additions.

yes, the grains would have been steeped for 20 mins and that liquid added to the mixture in the pot before the hop additions.

How much Galaxy would you suggest for a smaller boil amount, and to make up a 23L batch?

Thanks guys
(helmet on to avoid the bricks coming my way :) )

MrGibbon said:
yeah, basically I was going to dump the whole lot in a pot, bring it to a rolling boil, then start a 15 min boil for the hop additions.

yes, the grains would have been steeped for 20 mins and that liquid added to the mixture in the pot before the hop additions.

How much Galaxy would you suggest for a smaller boil amount, and to make up a 23L batch?

Thanks guys
(helmet on to avoid the bricks coming my way :) )
10 - 15g at flameout would be my first attempt. Up it next time if you feel it isnt enough. You can always steep some hop tea if its not enough. Basically you can add hops but cant take away. Once theyre in, its done. Nothing worse than overly hopped to the point where you dont like it and cant do anything (virtually) about it. There's blending, but what a PITA

Latest posts

Back