Advice for a stainless conical

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hop_it

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm looking to invest in a stainless steel conical fermentor, and thought I would see if anyone out there could share their experience if they have one themselves. This is obviously a substantial investment so I want to make sure I do the research and get what will best suit my needs... I'm looking to get approx 100l, and originally I wanted to cool with a glycol jacket but I haven't been able to find any that small so I will probably put it in an upright freezer with a temp controller.

So at this stage the keg king 100l seems to be the best option, does anyone have any experience with this fermentor?

The factors I've been considering so far are below, if anyone has any suggestions for other things I should be looking at then any advice would be appreciated.
- pressure rating: not a big factor, only needs to hold enough pressure to transfer to kegs (and sometimes through filter), I don't plan on carbonating in it
- needs the ability to mount a thermowell
- must be polished welds
- must have sample valve
- needs ability to mount a spray ball for cip
- would be nice to be able to attach a clear tube to see the fill level

Thanks in advance, any advice is appreciated!

I have a 55l core brewing conical.
Absolutely shits all over the keg king gear for shear build quality.Everything is tri-clamps for easy pull apart and clean.As for Micah and core...well he is a douche and his after sales service is pitifull.I'm still trying to get a back-up silicon gasket for my lid and it's been 4 months and the one he evetually supplied didn't fit.He is now telling me his supplier in Chia has chnaged the size and doesn't have any spares...but i digress...
- pressure rating: not a big factor, only needs to hold enough pressure to transfer to kegs (and sometimes through filter), I don't plan on carbonating in it i can't presurise my conical...no big deal..gravity is my friend.
- needs the ability to mount a thermowell mine has a thermowell mounted in the midle , however the probe is only about 100mm long..
- must be polished welds all the welds are polished and look sanitary .This is the reason i went with Core...i personally couldn't say the same about the KK one is saw at Grain and Grape
- must have sample valve Yup...got me one of those...and a dump valve...
- needs ability to mount a spray ball for cip This i don't have , but geordie in Cheltenham can probably help you...and from what i have heard they are quite resonable
- would be nice to be able to attach a clear tube to see the fill level This , i think , is a potential place for contaminants to grow...i don't want one.I reckon if you can't get to it to clean it , it ain't clean ( i have a caveat on my plate chiller lol)

Core also have a 75l jobby and probably do a 100 plus litre one...just don't expect the best service in the world..
Micah has some fans on here , but i'm far from satisfied with his after sales service....his kit , however is pretty good.
There is also the option of ordering direct from China...and i do have some details that may help , should you be interested...
Good luck..
Conicals rock !
Ferg

Thanks for the reply Ferg, I will get in touch with core and see if they can ship to WA. I'm a bit nervous about ordering something that expensive without seeing it first, particularly to check the quality of the welds but I don't think I will have a choice as I haven't been able to find any locally.

Look,
The welds are good...and all components come aprt for easy cleaning...and if your not happy...tell Micah you want your money back...
Also tell him you want extra seals at the point of purchase as his after sales service is non-existant...and don't upset him either lest you get a mouthful from him , like i did as he " was looking for someone to fight with today" He apologised but i reckon the guy needs to take his meds more often...

Back in 2008 I was looking for a 110ltr S/S conical and came to the conclusion that my best bet was to have one made. I found a certified dairy welder who made mine and it is genuine 316 S/S. Three legs support it and the back leg is fully adjustable to allow for the compressor hump in any fridge. When it is out of the fridge for cleaning the back leg drops to normal length. I have used this fermenter since 2008 and have never regretted the investment I made.

Cheers Altstart

If you order anything sight unseen, you do have 28 days in which to return it but you pay the freight each way.

altstart said:
Back in 2008 I was looking for a 110ltr S/S conical and came to the conclusion that my best bet was to have one made. I found a certified dairy welder who made mine and it is genuine 316 S/S. Three legs support it and the back leg is fully adjustable to allow for the compressor hump in any fridge. When it is out of the fridge for cleaning the back leg drops to normal length. I have used this fermenter since 2008 and have never regretted the investment I made.

Cheers Altstart
How much did your conical end up costing altstart? Do you have any pics? Sounds like a nice piece of kit!

Latest posts

Back