Advice for 1st recipe please

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,

I know you probably want a solid beer for your first attemp, but using 7malts is just overboard for the 1st AG.

Honestly, making a SMaSH beer would be a better idea. Give yourself a few of them for dialling in the system, getting water volumes and sparge volumes right with a few keg fillers and be able to understand your ingredience.

But if you need to be more adventurous a brown ale can be made in a simpler way using 3 malts:

Marris Otter or Pale malt = 91%
Medium Crystal = 6%
Chocolate malt = 3%

This way you will get a good read on the malts and what they bring to the beer. The ones you have in the recipe sound nice but for you to learn about the beer as you brew them its got to be simpler.

Thankyou for that im still getting used to Brewfather and how to use it. I will take that advice Dan.

+2
Keep your recipes simple and execute the basics well. More ingredients doesn’t equal better beer. Put more thought into your minerals, pH, ferment temp and yeast and the results will speak for themselves. Have fun and learn from each brew. Welcome to AG.

I'd go further, do something really simple, do it three times in a row
Preferably something like Coopers Pale Ale, a single malt and hop and only the one hop addition.
Brewing is a skill set as well as a knowledge base. Learn the basics make a beer where mistakes will be visible and learn how to avoid making them. In any endeavor getting the basics right will take you a long way to being good at what you are doing.

One thing many brewers ignore is Chlorine, before you worry about anything else, make sure you water is dechlorinated, that's perhaps more important than anything else when it comes to water chemistry. If you are so inclined add 100ppm of Calcium (in any form you like) that will make sure your water isn't too bad.
Keep good records, write everything down. Remember that Budvar (the Czech Budweiser) is 1 Malt, 1 Hop, 1 Hop addition, a lot of yeast and a heap of very good brewing!
Mark

Back