advice before i start on a coopers IPA and english bitter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bowhunterslodge

Reaction score
hi guys just after any tips before i start these two.
wishing to share a 1.5 kg can of coopers light malt between them,not after a full strength.
1.what optimum temp to pitch yeast?
2.would you change the yeasts supplied?
3.what optimum temp to set in my fv temp controlled fridge by stc1000
4.would it be a drama having them in my fv fridge for a good 2 weeks as i am going away?
5. any tips,suggestions welcomed?
many thanks in advance
cheers
pat :)

1. I usually try to pitch around the 20 degree mark +/- 2.
2. In my experience, Coopers yeast is fine for the kits. Never had any problems with their yeast
3. 18 - 22, any where in that range will be fine
4. Absolutely not, two weeks is the ideal length of time. Even three will be fine.
5. Cleanliness and sanitation can't be stressed enough

Hey Pat:

1. Close enough to your fermentation temperature will be fine, I personally don't have any trouble pitching in the low 20's with US-05 yeast. Kit yeast is supposedly even hardier so anything between 16-25 degrees shouldn't be a problem for dry yeast anyway.
2. Yep, kit yeast is pretty tough, but you can do better. Nothing wrong with trying the kit stuff then changing it next brew to compare. You could try US-05 for the IPA and maybe an S-04 for the English Bitter (the latter seems a pretty controversial choice though)
3. 18 degrees seems the temp of choice for the type of ales you're talking about.
4. Far from it, 2 weeks is perfectly fine, especially in a temp controlled fridge. Many brewers leave it longer
5. What wbosher said (too quick for me!)

thanks for the quick response guys,moving fridge into position,be doing some re organizing here.get here chilled down and ready..might get some chilled water down so i can pitch her to the temps..
cheers
pat

The Coopers yeast is fine, but it's only a 7g sachet, which means you will be slightly under pitching.

If you upgrade to US-05 that comes in an 11.5g satchet.

If you do use an alternative yeast, keep the kit yeast in your fridge, write on it which kit it came from and next time combine that yeast with your kit yeast and you will be having yeast parties in your fermenter.

It is worth remembering that he is looking at doing reduced OG versions of these kits. Assuming fresh kit yeast, he may not be underpitching in this case.

The advice you've given is great for the general case though.

How'd the bitter go? I'm keen on making a lower OG bitter myself. Did you add anything else other than kit, ldme and yeast?

heading home tomorrow,hopefully they are doing well...let you know tuesday how they have progressed....did not add anything special,will like to in next batches...cheers pat

Latest posts

Back