Advice before drilling into fridge.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smplskls

Reaction score
G'day fellas,

I understand there are multiple threads on this topic although wondering if someone may be able to tell me from these pictures where the internals of the fridge will likely be.

The the fridge is an all fridge Westinghouse WRM4300WB-R. Am wanting to go in from the side preferably as the door's a bit dodgy.

Thanks!

Golden rule!
Decide where you want the hole, then use a soldering iron (yes it will stink) to make the hole on the inside of the fridge, do not make a small hole, think yeh that's ok, and then use that small hole as a pilot hole for your hole saw, don't ask. :rolleyes:

You are doing it wrong. You are meant to ask for advice AFTER you have drilled into the fridge! 😂

But yes, like Grmblz said, make a small hole on the inside and have a feel around to feel what's there. If nothing is there go for it....Just make sure you have another fridge lined up from Gumtree/Fleabay first ;)

As WEAL said, and you can use metho in place of pure alcohol. A bit of food colouring makes it easier to see if the fridge is white too.

When you do drill, go from the inside out so you can dig out the insulation and confirm no piping before drilling through the metal skin.

Thanks for the advice fellas.. Unfortunately hit a line by about a cm.. :(

Off topic - anyone use KegLand Kegerators to ferment in? Wondering if I'd fit in two Fermenter King Juniors but can't find internal specs.

Why not the RAPT fridge? Otherwise, I believe they should easily fit 2 FKjs in it, as they fit 3 corny kegs and have a fair bit of room on top?

What wires?
The wires embedded in the bloody foam, the wires that shouldn't have been there, and wrap around your hole saw, no idea what they were for I didn't try to trouble shoot just chucked it out in disgust (disgust at myself that is, for being such a stupid nong) if only I'd left it plugged in I could have removed myself from the gene pool, and saved the world at large from some angst.

Well I've never encountered any wires, only drilled through a couple of fridges. Maybe on the light side not sure, can't imagine why wires would be there. Apart from catching out people who want to drill through the side of a fridge.
Looks like the OP hit a gas line now so all to no avail.

Ahhh, another fridge crucified on the cross of home brewing, try as we might to save these old warriors from an ignominious fate as land fill our efforts are often futile. I'll bet he doesn't make the same mistake again though.

Had the kids watching me - was under a fair amount of pressure :p Decided to lash out and get a Kegerator - will try again down the line when I need some more space! Thanks guys.

Had the kids watching me - was under a fair amount of pressure :p Decided to lash out and get a Kegerator - will try again down the line when I need some more space! Thanks guys.
Well played sir, please give us 24hr's notice the next time you decide to mod fridge. ;)

Thanks for the advice fellas.. Unfortunately hit a line by about a cm.. :(

Off topic - anyone use KegLand Kegerators to ferment in? Wondering if I'd fit in two Fermenter King Juniors but can't find internal specs.

Bummer. I recently drilled five holes in my fridge using wide eyed and legless advice with 100 % success. In saying that there was no gas lines front or sides. Doesn't hurt to check first.

Back