Advice About Fresh Worts

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ray_Mills said:
Hi
I have mentioned this before, so i will do it agaain on this thread.
I use ESB Wort kits for my every day drinking beer. Have two today to put down.
Try this as it never fails. Get a good liquid yeast for your first batch. When you have bottled or kegged the batch, dump the next wort kit on the yeast and top up to 20L. It will be fermenting in one hour and the yeasts will be loving it.
You can do this up to six times with the same batch of yeast. If the sediment is getting a little thick just empty some through the tap.
I will be Dumping the IPA on a WLP 570 Belgian Golden Ale. Have know idea what it will taste like, but its fun.
Cheers
Ray
[post="55379"][/post]​

Ray,

Have you ever dry hopped these worts? maybe in secondary with a plug or two for added aroma?

Am thinking the pils with some tettanger plugs.

CHeers

Thanks Ray, was basically asking if extra aroma was needed or not, sounds like they are great by themselves.

Cheers

Ray_Mills said:
Hi
I have mentioned this before, so i will do it agaain on this thread.
I use ESB Wort kits for my every day drinking beer. Have two today to put down.
Try this as it never fails. Get a good liquid yeast for your first batch. When you have bottled or kegged the batch, dump the next wort kit on the yeast and top up to 20L. It will be fermenting in one hour and the yeasts will be loving it.
You can do this up to six times with the same batch of yeast. If the sediment is getting a little thick just empty some through the tap.
I will be Dumping the IPA on a WLP 570 Belgian Golden Ale. Have know idea what it will taste like, but its fun.
Cheers
Ray
[post="55379"][/post]​

Hi There,

In regards to dumping a fresh wortts onto a yeast cake, is the general rule to move from lighter style to darker?

Is it possible to dump an APA onto a yeast cake used for an obtokerfest (was a WLP013 london yeast)?

Cheers,
Jase

Jase said:
Is it possible to dump an APA onto a yeast cake used for an obtokerfest (was a WLP013 london yeast)?

[post="79664"][/post]​

Nothing wrong with that, only thing i noticed is you are calling a beer made with a ale yeast a octoberfest. You can't really call it a amber lager when you have used a ale yeast, anyway iam sure your not overly concerned with that.

As far as pitching from a darker more robust beer to a lighter beer i haven't had any probs, in fact today iam repitching a yeast from a alt beer into a koelsch.

I find you only really need a half pint of slurry but have used the whole lot plenty of times.

Enjoy
Jayse

The 'ONE' All-Grain Wort Kit APA from Grumpy's Brewhaus is 17 litres of 1.060 and 50 IBU wort.

They can be diluted to lower the alcohol content and bitterness level e.g. add 6 litres of water for an OG of 1.045 and 37 IBU.

Our next batch of 'American Pale Ale' is to be released from the kettle this Friday the 30th September.

$35 without yeast
$40 with Fermentis US-56 American Ale yeast
$45 with your choice Wyeast

tdh

affiliated? yep

I think I'll have to go out and try making two brews with the one yeast.

Where do you get your liquid yeast from in Wollong Ray? (btw. nice interview on WIN news the other day :D )

tdh

any thoughts on dumping a grumpys fresh wort kit onto a "full" yeast cake in a primary. Can you start with too much yeast ??

pm

muga said:
Where do you get your liquid yeast from in Wollong
[post="79669"][/post]​

Northern Brew on the highway at Woonona stocks Wyeast.

PostModern said:
Northern Brew on the highway at Woonona stocks Wyeast.
[post="79682"][/post]​
Sweet, I go there often and have never asked - alywas had whitelabs ordered in.

any thoughts on dumping a grumpys fresh wort kit onto a "full" yeast cake in a primary. Can you start with too much yeast ??

Pitch half a cup of thick slurry or onto the slurry left in your 'secondary' fermenter.

Onto the whole yeast cake leads to an explosive, hot and rapid ferment, resultant flavours aren't the best.

This applies to any brew.

tdh

Thanks tdh for that info, I was going to try that tomorrow onto a Wyeast 1007, I froze my starter of 1007 :( bummer, defrosted it and made up some fresh wort and and it is slowly coming back to life :p but will not be ready for the 'Windjammer' I am doing in the moring [yeah I know, wrong yeast but my larger fridge sh#t it self] <_< .
Half a cup, thanks.

Thanks Jayse,

I decided to try a LCPA to see what everyone was raving about.

OMG :super: What a great beer, I am going out to grab an APA fresh wort tomorrow, how much extra cascade hops should I put in?

Cheers,
Jase

I can't really addvise on any additions for the fresh wort, i haven't made one, but i do imagine that if the fresh wort is of the same standard as the grumpies 'one' worts than you really shouldn't have to add anything.
If at racking you think it needs more hops you can always do a hop tea and put that in, i rather that than dry hopping as a hop tea is more like finishing hop additions than dry hopping which is not my cup of tea.
I pressume your talking about the ESB wort which i'll leave to others to comment on. My bet though is it proberly doesn't need adding to.

Wearing and tearing
Jayse

I've done the ESB APA a few times, and you definately need more cascade if you want to approach the LCPA. My last one i hopped with 20g of cascade before fermenting with California Ale yeast, and a plug in secondary - i reckon I could have gone 2 plugs and more pellets in primary, which i will try next time.

Having said that, it's a lot milder than LCPA, and i've found that it's a hit with all my mates who would not normally appreciate an APA.

[.
I pressume your talking about the ESB wort which i'll leave to others to comment on. My bet though is it proberly doesn't need adding to.

Wearing and tearing
Jayse
[post="79759"][/post]​
[/quote]

I've done a couple of the esb fresh worts and they have absolutely no hop character at all.You would need to add at least 1 gram per litre of finish hops (cascade) to get even close to an lcpa.

I hav'nt done a grumpys one, but based on the beers on tap and collective knowledge of the boys up there it would be well worth the freight and effort to get a new release one apa kit.

Feeling hoppy ,Dave

I've also done the ESB APA and dry hopped with 1oz of cascase pellets in the secondary for 2 weeks. Turned out quite good, and as jgriffin said, is popular with those that aren't quite up to the LCPA or IPA's.

Amarillo hops go nicely with the APA. I make up a hop tea for primary. Boil about 25gms for about 15 mins in a litre of water and use W1056. Turns out nice.

Hi There,

I am experimenting with the practice of putting a fresh wort kit on top of a yeast cake.
I have made an Oktoberfest kit and I put an APA kit with an extra 20 grams of Cascade on the yeast cake. The wort is almost ready to keg.

My question is: If I was to put another APA kit onto this yeast cake, with I need to put another 20 grams of Cascade hops in as well? The ferementer is also starting to look a little messy, which the kraussen and hops clinching onto the top end of the fermenter. Do I need to remove this prior to dumping another fresh wort kit in?

Cheers,
Jase

Jase said:
Hi There,

I am experimenting with the practice of putting a fresh wort kit on top of a yeast cake.
I have made an Oktoberfest kit and I put an APA kit with an extra 20 grams of Cascade on the yeast cake. The wort is almost ready to keg.

My question is: If I was to put another APA kit onto this yeast cake, with I need to put another 20 grams of Cascade hops in as well? The ferementer is also starting to look a little messy, which the kraussen and hops clinching onto the top end of the fermenter. Do I need to remove this prior to dumping another fresh wort kit in?

Cheers,
Jase
[post="81346"][/post]​

Jase, I would be fermenting in a clean fermenter and not the old one. After you have racked or bottled your fermented brew swirl the yeast back into suspension and then pour from the tap into your new brew in a clean fermenter. And yes you will need to add more aroma hops if you are after more aroma the old stuff will basically be spent.

Cheers
Andrew

Back