Advice About Fresh Worts

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do the ESB wort kits often, ususally if i make up a large yeast starter i'll make one beer myself and throw down and ESB too.

They are pretty much all good - i was dissapointed with the Irish Red though.
The APA is nice, but not as hopped as LCPA. If you want something similar to an LCPA, dry hop with 20gms or so of Cascade.

I also reccomend use of a good liquid yeast. Also, i never used to add water as the OG was only 1.050, but i made one recently that i did add water and the OG was 1.050, so either my new hydrometer is out, or the latest batch had the gravity increased.

AB,

I haven't tried one of the wort kits - but being straight from the micro's kettle I'm sure they are excellent. If you want a greater choice, have a look around for a "brew your own" type establishment in your area - My local gives you the choice of dozens of AG brews, but beware, some places only use extract...

So long as your sanitation and fermentation practices are up to scratch, you won't be disappointed with most of the wort kits available, assuming you like the style. You don't have as much flexibility in what you can brew, but they are an excellent introduction to you own all-grain beers.

I was the same with the extracts, DME just didn't give enough room to change brews a great deal, mind you.. i wish i had stayed extract after my first AG, I just tipped the contents of the fermenter down the sink, that will learn me for using home malted barley. As regards to the wort kits, i know somebody who has used them and they work quite well (the Grumpys? APA was nice). They are a bit pricy though.

I always thought that the wort in those kits was straight from the mash tun not the kettle. Was thinking that would allow you to add your own hops and make it into whatever you wanted.
Obviously i was wrong

vlbaby.

No brewery could give you wort from the tun unless you were there on brewday and went home and boiled it straight away.

Jayse

Is bad to allow the runnings from the mash to cool? Or is it just a time thing?
Only reason i ask is because on my next brew day i plan to catch wort from the mash tun in a pot, and transfer it in batches to the kettle. So it will probably cool down a bit during that time.

vlbaby

I'd sy infection is the big thing. Grain husks are covered with lacto bacillus. That's how the whole "sour mash" thing works.

vlbaby said:
Is bad to allow the runnings from the mash to cool? Or is it just a time thing?
[post="55160"][/post]​

vlbaby

As long as they are not left for any substantial time (overnight = bad), then it should be OK. One of the main functions of the boil is to kill the bacteria in the wort, thats why the fresh wort kits have been boiled.

Cheers
Pedro

I regularly leave the runnings from the MLT in the boiler for up to two hours before starting the boil. Simply because of family life and family commitments. Never had a problem with leaving it for two hours.

Doc

In 2 hours it probably wouldn't even get down to a temperature low enough for the greeblies to grow.

Probably not. It is generally around 40-45 degC.

Doc

I've brewed a couple of the Fresh Worts and have tasted several brewed by friends. I think they're great considering how easy they are to put on and have on tap. I found the APA a bit thin when diluted as recommended, 18 litres was about the right OG for me when using WLP001.

Anwyay, I think they're worth chucking on if brewday is cancelled or whatever. They're much closer to AG than even the best of extract kits.

Ross said:
AB,

I haven't tried one of the wort kits - but being straight from the micro's kettle I'm sure they are excellent. If you want a greater choice, have a look around for a "brew your own" type establishment in your area - My local gives you the choice of dozens of AG brews, but beware, some places only use extract...
[post="55128"][/post]​

I've tried a few, and U have to put up with their brewing. I've been advised that they usually mash high at ESB, and that seems to make some beers a bit out-of-style.

My only issue is that I have had contaminations in some of my brews. Maybe my technique is not right for these beers.

Oops, I lied. I have another issue. I think my last one was mislabelled and I used a pils culture in my Pils, which now tastes like an Irish red fermented by a Pils yeast.

The dodgy units usually end up being purchased by me. But at least the Pils/Red isn't contam inated, just wrong... :p

* edit* BTW, the BOP shops (Brew-on-premises) may alow U to do an AG beer, but I hear that most are set up for extract only. Please search this site for more info, maybe. * /edit*

Seth :chug:

PostModern said:
They're much closer to AG than even the best of extract kits.
[post="55186"][/post]​

That is for sure, they are made with all freah hop pellets and the finest of craft brewing malts whereas the extracts are not made to anywhere this standard.
I don't think there is a extract around made from say JWM traditional ale malt or similar with actuall fresh hops added to the kettle at different stages.

Jayse

AB,

Try the Amber Ale and WLP005.

Great drop :chug:

As an extract brewer I have tried the ESB Fresh Wort KIts and have found all of them to be great and easy to do (IPA which is available now is great) I cant see how anyone can go wrong with them,not too hard to add 5L of water and pitch the yeast. Never had a problem with them.

Brew 1 up and enjoy :beer:

I have made the ESB Bock fresh wort kit with out any additional 5 litres of water ,I did not use a lager yeast as I was not set up for it at the time ,I t really was a super beer I enjoyed it more than the Picton Bock.

I made the Wheat beer and used an ale yeast and did not get the right flavours that was my fault for being so lazy .

I am drinking the Vienna lager tonight ,I is the best beer I have made its a class act flavour wise but may have a chill haze ,the head is the best ever even the lacing down the side of the glass .

Pumpy

Hi
I have mentioned this before, so i will do it agaain on this thread.
I use ESB Wort kits for my every day drinking beer. Have two today to put down.
Try this as it never fails. Get a good liquid yeast for your first batch. When you have bottled or kegged the batch, dump the next wort kit on the yeast and top up to 20L. It will be fermenting in one hour and the yeasts will be loving it.
You can do this up to six times with the same batch of yeast. If the sediment is getting a little thick just empty some through the tap.
I will be Dumping the IPA on a WLP 570 Belgian Golden Ale. Have know idea what it will taste like, but its fun.
Cheers
Ray

Back