Adjusting Saison recipe for no chill

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhsbaker

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm planning to brew this recipe on the weekend. Any tips from no chillers for adjustments? I was planning to keep 60 min addition as is, Change 30min addition to 15min and cube hop with the 5 min hops.

Any thoughts on this?

Saison Recipe.JPG

The other option is doing a mini boil with the 5 minute additions in either some left over wort, or 1L of water, then chill in the sink and pitch with the rest of the wort.

JD

James said:
Hi,

I'm planning to brew this recipe on the weekend. Any tips from no chillers for adjustments? I was planning to keep 60 min addition as is, Change 30min addition to 15min and cube hop with the 5 min hops.

Any thoughts on this?
Yep, that's exactly what I would do with that recipe.

JDW81 said:
The other option is doing a mini boil with the 5 minute additions in either some left over wort, or 1L of water, then chill in the sink and pitch with the rest of the wort.

JD
You guys rock! That is a great idea, makes perfect sense.

Is there an advantage to doing this with wort rather than plain water? Plain water would be much easier. I have read that hops need some malt to isomerise, but for 5 min addition I guess this isn't an issue?

ill leave the 30 alone and probably the 5 as well, i cant read the ibu your getting from the 5 but i assume its not much. so a no chill will do very little to the ibu

mxd said:
ill leave the 30 alone and probably the 5 as well, i cant read the ibu your getting from the 5 but i assume its not much. so a no chill will do very little to the ibu
Surely the longer time to cool will affect the flavour and aroma of these late additions? JDW81's method seems to be a sensible work around to this.

EKG is very low alpha. You won't notice much difference between a 5 min addition in chill vs no chill.

Something like Galaxy or Citra is a totally different story.

I'm about to keg a Saison.

Unfortunately for you, I do mine with a single bittering addition, no chill.

If you want to late hop it, shift your flavour and aroma to cube hopping. Adjust the next batch based on the outcome.

I would move the 30min addition to 15mins and everything after that to the cube.

I wouldn't bother with a 15 minute addition.

For a saison, I usually get around 2/3 of total IBU from the bittering addition (FWH) and 1/3 from whirlpool or cube.

I'd throw the saaz into the whirlpool and the second EKG addition into the cube. As LRG said, you can always adjust next time.

Back