Adelaide messenger Jurno needs a stern talking to

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elcarter

Reaction score
Please take the time to help educate this journalist that appears to have had a poorly brewed beer at some stage and decided an article attacking the whole industry was required.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/opinion/monique-bowley-when-cheezels-cant-disguise-the-taste-of-failure/story-fni6unxq-1227134644543

WHEN I drank a beer that tasted like a band-aid, I knew we’d hit rock bottom.
It was home-brew. A beer so mouth-twistingly awful that even five fingers of Cheezels couldn’t disguise the taste.
I know times are tough and economically we’re hurting. I know electricity prices are high and we’re willing to flock to Costco to save 40 cents on bog roll paper. But it is a blight on Australia that beer, a staple of this country, has reached a point where people are forced to make it from kits in their shed to save a few dollars.
The beer-maker, proud as punch, told me how cheap it was to make. I smiled and wondered if I discreetly poured it on the garden, would it kill the geranium.
The next time I was at the bottle-o, I realised he was right. I stared blankly at the fridge and thought, in a very middle-aged way, “When did beer get so expensive?”
The best cold beer is dear. Which makes the home-brew kit so enticing.
The promise of cheap beer is hard to resist. Plus there’s the satisfaction of knocking one back that you made with your own bare hands and the amazed look from your friends when they realise you’ve been harbouring your incredible beer-making skill in secret.
But do not be seduced. Because it’s almost never like that. Instead, when you gaily offer around a home-brew beer, people will secretly think you’re weird. Or worse, a tightwad. Consider it the kind of thing you drink in secret, at home. Cheap and cheerful, but a social faux pas to take it out to a party or press it upon your guests at your own.
It’s probably unfair but that’s the way it is. People usually fawn over homemade things. My pantry is sticky with jams and marmalades from market stalls. Someone gifted me a bottle of lemon cordial the other day and it was the nectar of the gods. Home-baked biscuits are better, crocheted rugs are my household style staple and friends are now making their own butter. Homemade is HOT.
But home-brew is not.
Proponents tell me it has come a long way. I’m sure it has, but to me, it was a phase everyone did as students because we couldn’t afford actual beer. It tasted of soysauce. And even now, it still conjures up visions of men with sweat patches making beer in bathtubs.
Not all is lost, though. All that’s required is a little image makeover. Just like jam jars suddenly became de rigeur glassware, home-brew just needs a little hipster fairy dust.
Home-brewers: grow yourself a beard. Buy a leather apron. Use words like “sessionable”. (It’s nice beer to drink a lot of.) Act mysterious and aloof. You’re no longer a home-brew maker, you’re now a craftsman who makes craft beer.
You could always enter the craft beer championships, too. Though, you’ll be hard-pressed to win. The rumour is, this year one of the big beer brewers entered a craft beer that tasted fantastic. They won. Then revealed it was actually just one of their normal draught beers in a different bottle. Very crafty.
No matter how bad things get, there is no need to resort to home-brew. We make the best beer in the country right here in this state. Leave them to it. Because no amount of Cheezels can disguise the taste of failure.

Couple of false premises in there.

1: Home brewers were making excellent beer long before the zombie hipster revolution

2: You can't kill geraniums with badly brewed beer. You can't kill geraniums with anything.

"The rumour is, this year one of the big beer brewers entered a craft beer that tasted fantastic. They won. Then revealed it was actually just one of their normal draught beers in a different bottle."

Oh dear, satire goes straight over journalists heads these days doesn't it?

Which paper or news show was it last week that mistook a satire site for a real news website?

From top to bottom it's an uninformed piece of writing that doesn't deserve an answer. Using a 'rumour' derived from a satirical, fabricated story in an article as evidence for something (stupidity of craft/whatever drinkers?) is indicative of the minimum level of research required to get something published in a newspaper. I couldn't give a **** if she never drinks a beer of any kind again.

Don't click on the link, someone post the text instead.

All gutter 'journos' and the tabloids care about is clicks!

because I had the page open.

WHEN I drank a beer that tasted like a band-aid, I knew we’d hit rock bottom.

It was home-brew. A beer so mouth-twistingly awful that even five fingers of Cheezels couldn’t disguise the taste.
I know times are tough and economically we’re hurting. I know electricity prices are high and we’re willing to flock to Costco to save 40 cents on bog roll paper. But it is a blight on Australia that beer, a staple of this country, has reached a point where people are forced to make it from kits in their shed to save a few dollars.
The beer-maker, proud as punch, told me how cheap it was to make. I smiled and wondered if I discreetly poured it on the garden, would it kill the geranium.
The next time I was at the bottle-o, I realised he was right. I stared blankly at the fridge and thought, in a very middle-aged way, “When did beer get so expensive?”
The best cold beer is dear. Which makes the home-brew kit so enticing.
The promise of cheap beer is hard to resist. Plus there’s the satisfaction of knocking one back that you made with your own bare hands and the amazed look from your friends when they realise you’ve been harbouring your incredible beer-making skill in secret.
But do not be seduced. Because it’s almost never like that. Instead, when you gaily offer around a home-brew beer, people will secretly think you’re weird. Or worse, a tightwad. Consider it the kind of thing you drink in secret, at home. Cheap and cheerful, but a social faux pas to take it out to a party or press it upon your guests at your own.
It’s probably unfair but that’s the way it is. People usually fawn over homemade things. My pantry is sticky with jams and marmalades from market stalls. Someone gifted me a bottle of lemon cordial the other day and it was the nectar of the gods. Home-baked biscuits are better, crocheted rugs are my household style staple and friends are now making their own butter. Homemade is HOT.
But home-brew is not.
Proponents tell me it has come a long way. I’m sure it has, but to me, it was a phase everyone did as students because we couldn’t afford actual beer. It tasted of soysauce. And even now, it still conjures up visions of men with sweat patches making beer in bathtubs.
Not all is lost, though. All that’s required is a little image makeover. Just like jam jars suddenly became de rigeur glassware, home-brew just needs a little hipster fairy dust.
Home-brewers: grow yourself a beard. Buy a leather apron. Use words like “sessionable”. (It’s nice beer to drink a lot of.) Act mysterious and aloof. You’re no longer a home-brew maker, you’re now a craftsman who makes craft beer.
You could always enter the craft beer championships, too. Though, you’ll be hard-pressed to win. The rumour is, this year one of the big beer brewers entered a craft beer that tasted fantastic. They won. Then revealed it was actually just one of their normal draught beers in a different bottle. Very crafty.
No matter how bad things get, there is no need to resort to home-brew. We make the best beer in the country right here in this state. Leave them to it. Because no amount of Cheezels can disguise the taste of failure.
Monique Bowley went on a reality baking show and did not cry or use the word “journey” once.

elcarter invite the poor jurno around for a taste of the beer you make or get the "Dr" to educate in the suttle art of brewing

This sort of thing really pisses me off. It's bad enough the internet in general is full of stupid but actual news sites peddling more stupid, like come on.

Amusing.

But I also remember enthusiastically and proudly offering my first kit brewed beer to a megaswill bloke and being deflated with his grimace and replacement with a can of Fosters.

She got given infected beer. It happens and sometimes pride removes bad flavours.

I am sure that all of us have also been the recipient of a home brewer offering that you know is trying and he hands it too you and you grimace in politeness as you try to swallow and not dent his pride.

Her short sightedness is the assumption that all home brew is bad. Poor, but at least highlights that a bit more skill is perhaps required than home baking biscuits....

Eagleburger said:
lol, she just quoted a joke article as truth

DU99 said:
elcarter invite the poor jurno around for a taste of the beer you make or get the "Dr" to educate in the suttle art of brewing
My beers shit :D

sp0rk said:
lol, she just quoted a joke article as truth
I had the same joke article quoted at me as truth by the barmaid at a well known Northern Beaches craft brew bar. I don't think I'll be hurrying back there.

I have huge doubts she has even had a home brew beer! Journalism these days consists of fabrication and exaggeration to produce a story and I think perhaps she has just highlighted a myth of old that home brew is crap :unsure:

Fucktard, like most journos. Could probably let it slide if she was at least funny. Sadly not even close.

She samples a beer, but sits there with a bowl of Cheezels, great way to taste a beer hey?

Just a cake eater I think ;)

Back