Additions @0mins using no-chill

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Econwatson

Reaction score
Hey guys, very quick question!

If a recipe calls for hops at 0 mins and I am planning to no-chill the wort, should I add those hops to the cube or to my urn at flame out?

Thank you!

But what if I have 10 minute and 5 minute additions as well? Just add them as normal? Then 0 minutes to the cube?

Sorry to ask so quick, but next hop addition is due in 14 minutes!

for me anything after 20 minutes just goes in the cube

Any flavor and aroma hops (except Dry Hopping) I put about 2-3 liters of wort into a pot and do a small hop boil on a stove then chill and add to fermenter.

Amber Fluid said:
Any flavor and aroma hops (except Dry Hopping) I put about 2-3 liters of wort into a pot and do a small hop boil on a stove then chill and add to fermenter.
This is an excellent method, and has served me well a number of times. Although I'm off big hoppy beers ATM I've made some cracker APAs in the past by doing this.

Process is simple, add 3 or so litres of wort from the cube to a pot. Bring to the boil, add you 10 minute hops and start the timer, after 5 add your five minute hops, add you 0 minutes hops when you turn out the flame. Stick a lid on and put the pot in and ice bath to chill. Strain (if you want to) into the fermenter and pitch your yeast.

Easy as.

Thanks for the advice guys! There was a big call on this recipe for lots of late additions. One at 10, one at 5 and one at 0 mins! I compromised and added the 10 minute one as specified hen te 5 and 0 to the cube! I will definitely try the method suggested by JDW next time!

All that works OK - for simplicities sake and still lovely flavour and aroma - just take every single hop addition that is not "start of boil" and move it to "cube hop"

calculate any hop additions that happen in the actual boil as though they were 90min additions - calculate things that go into the cube as though they were 20-25 minute additions. Aim for the same IBUs as the recipe you are following.

No-chilling is different from chilling - if you want the "same" results as a recipe designed for rapid chill - then rapidly chill. But you can make lovely hoppy beer by no-chilling too ... if you want great results from no chill and you also want to follow someone else recipe - you either need to choose a recipe that was designed for no-chill in the first place, or accept the fact that the results will be different (not worse, not better - just different) than if you followed the method of the person who designed the recipe in the first place - and that kind of makes sense no??

Back