Additional Recipe Db Filter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

JColeman

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I was just having a quick browse through the recipe DB (cool forum feature by the way) and I was wondering if you would be able to add an additional filter option for batch size?

I am about to start all grain brewing for the first time and plan on doing small batch of 4.5 liters. Couple of reasons for my small batch brews are:
  • I don't have the space for big equipment or storing lots of bottles as I live in an apartment
  • I can brew more varying styles and brew more often
  • I won't feel so bad dumping a 4.5 L batch if it screws up
4.5 L batch ill be perfect for me as I will hopefully get 6-10 bottles per batch, which is perfect for me as I wont drink through 40 bottles quick enough before I want to brew again!

Brewing small batches also has it challenges in terms of getting the amounts of ingredients (in particular the hops) pretty spot on.

To make things easier for other users who wish to do the same, it would be great to have the ability to filter based on batch size. That way users can quickly find recipes to compare or try out. Instead of having to always attempt to scale them down correctly :)

Now, I notice this field is currently a free text field so may be difficult to create a simple filter based on it's values. To correct this I would propose you turn that field into a drop down list with incremental numbers by .5 of a litre or maybe add a tick box for 'Small Batch Brew' that can be ticked if the batch size is smaller than 10 litres?

Cheers,

John

dane

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I was just having a quick browse through the recipe DB (cool forum feature by the way) and I was wondering if you would be able to add an additional filter option for batch size?

I am about to start all grain brewing for the first time and plan on doing small batch of 4.5 liters. Couple of reasons for my small batch brews are:
  • I don't have the space for big equipment or storing lots of bottles as I live in an apartment
  • I can brew more varying styles and brew more often
  • I won't feel so bad dumping a 4.5 L batch if it screws up
4.5 L batch ill be perfect for me as I will hopefully get 6-10 bottles per batch, which is perfect for me as I wont drink through 40 bottles quick enough before I want to brew again!

Brewing small batches also has it challenges in terms of getting the amounts of ingredients (in particular the hops) pretty spot on.

To make things easier for other users who wish to do the same, it would be great to have the ability to filter based on batch size. That way users can quickly find recipes to compare or try out. Instead of having to always attempt to scale them down correctly :)

Now, I notice this field is currently a free text field so may be difficult to create a simple filter based on it's values. To correct this I would propose you turn that field into a drop down list with incremental numbers by .5 of a litre or maybe add a tick box for 'Small Batch Brew' that can be ticked if the batch size is smaller than 10 litres?

Cheers,

John

Hi John,

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm currently working on the update to the recipe DB so it's good timing.

I haven't got support for this functionality in the first version, but I'll have a look at adding the batch size filtering or providing recipe scaling in a future updated.

Recipe scaling was always planned, but I hadn't thought of the batch size feature.

kevo

Reaction score
If there's a scaling function, what would be the purpose of having a batch size search filter?

Find your recipe and scale it to your batch size...

Or even using the current DB, find a recipe, plug it into some software, I use Brewtoolz, and scale it to your needs.

Kev

mikec

Reaction score
Yep, just scale any recipe you like to whatever size you like.
Filtering by batch size would be very limiting.

Latest posts