Adding Yeast To Bulk Priming Solution

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SJW

As you must brew, so you must drink
Reaction score
When i bottle my ESB Czech Pilsener the HBS told me to add a small amout of yeast to the bulk priming solution before bottling. When i asked why he said that after a 2 week ferment and 2 weeks in CC there may not be enough yeast left in suspension to carbonate the beer. Sounds like crap to me but i guess it could not hurt as the yeast should settle out in the bottle or will it mess up the beer thus making CCing a waste of time????

I've bulk primed lagers after a few weeks of cold conditioning without yeast, and had no probs. You might want to do it if you are particularly concerned about carbonation, but I would suggest that you try it without the yeast addition to begin with.
The problem you may have with adding some yeast in the bulk priming solution is the introduction of a yeast that may contribute some off flavours or notes in the wort, as a result of the yeast having a go at converting some of the residual fermentables that may be found in trace quantities in the wort.
Have a go without the yeast and then try the same batch again with the yeast and see which way you prefer.
Yes, you will get sediment if you add the yeast to the priming solution which makes the 2ndry fermentation less than successful, if your main goal is to minimise yeast in the bottle.
Cheers,
TL

SJW said:
When i bottle my ESB Czech Pilsener the HBS told me to add a small amout of yeast to the bulk priming solution before bottling. When i asked why he said that after a 2 week ferment and 2 weeks in CC there may not be enough yeast left in suspension to carbonate the beer. Sounds like crap to me but i guess it could not hurt as the yeast should settle out in the bottle or will it mess up the beer thus making CCing a waste of time????
After 2 weeks cold conditioning you should have ample yeast for bottle carbonation. Now, if you had conditioned for two months, then I would suggest that it would be a good idea to add a small amount yeast to the bottles. I haven't been in the position to cold condition for that long however, so I could be wrong.

As for it messing up your beer, I guess if there is enough yeast to do the job, there is no reason to add more.

Definitely, you can CC for 3-4 months and still have plenty of yeast for bottle conditioning.

OTOH, with a monster beer I would add fresh yeast--always a lager yeast--to the bottling bucket. the reason? Yeast that has spent a few weeks in a 10%+ alcohol beer is a yeast that is tired, mutated etc. My 12.1% lager took 18months to condition up in the bottle.

Introducing add flavors? Oh please, a tsp yeast in 23L wort that has no oxygen left is not going to be able to do anything much but use up the priming sugar. No O2=no yeast reproduction=pathetic amount of yeast/yeast related flavors.

Jovial Monk
Going to add a tsp Saflager when bottling the 10% doppelbock after 5 months in CC

Latest posts

Back