Adding yeast to a bottle advice

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rehab

Reaction score
Hi there.

I was kindly given a load of Belgian Yeast right from the tank at a local brewpub. I doubt I will be able to make a 5ltr starter that it now requires but I am bottling a big IPA today (7%) and was wondering if I added some to the bottle of a few would it do anything or just be a waste of time? I was thinking of around 5ltrs out of 25ltrs sort of thing.

Any experiences and tips would be great

Cheers

G'Day Stillin rehab,
A similarbut different thing happened to me.I accidently froze my fermenter while cold conditioning,down to minus 17 deg. frzen wort all over.
The thinking was that the low temperature would kill the yeast and would not be any live yeast to work on the added sugar in the bottle when bottling.
Working on that one sachet of yeast does up to 30 litres of wort I put half of a gram of us-05 in each 750 ml bottle with one sugar cube.The wonder is that the beer came out fine and it was the most ill treated one I have made.
So there is nothing wrong about putting yeast in the bottle .Don;t know how you will work out how much to use in your situation tho.
Bit different but hope this helps.
cheers
wombil.

Cheers man, good you had a decent batch at the end of that one. I was more just thinking of will I get any Belgian characteristics for mine though mate.

I am hoping someone far more experienced than myself has given this a nudge. Will be bottling most of the batch shortly.

Try it with one.

I added the dregs of a french cider to a whole cider batch and got noticeable funk develop in the bottle so I wouldn't be surprised.

Yeah I have some champagne sized bottles so may just use those and chuck a bit in each one. Cheers

Back