Adding preserved fruit to Primary - like a dry hop addition?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrumpyPaul

Reaction score
Has anyone added preserved fruit to the primary?

I am currently fermenting an "Orange Gose" - which has zest and coriander in the boil for a bit of Orange flavour. I have just been given some home preserved orange segments that I am considering throwing into the primary to get a bit of extra orange flavour.

Recipe here - Brewfather

I'm using the new Lallemand Philly Sour yeast that I have read will get a bit more lactic sourness with added glucose.

My questions are...

Would the preserving process have adequately sterilised the fruit - or should I give them a quick boil before adding to be on the safe side?
Is the sugary syrup that they are preserved in essentially going to add Glucose? - which in theory will work well with the Philly sour.

I have a similar question. I've also got a Philly sour brew going. Added a box of guava juice at the end of the boil, so that will be fine (and hopefully it added a bit of glucose to help the lactic acid production). But I've also just dumped in 400 grams of frozen passionfruit pulp (at 4 days in). I'm hoping it would have been sanitised enough out of the packet, but being frozen means they could have gotten away with it being less than sanitary. Plus the Philly Sour yeast doesn't seem to be the most robust organism around.

I'd have thought preserved fruit would have been a bit safer, since aren't they put into the jars in boiling water? So if it didn't start fermenting in the jar, can't see why it would start in the fermenter. But then again, given they've probably already been boiled, probably wouldn't hurt to do it again.

I have a similar question. I've also got a Philly sour brew going. Added a box of guava juice at the end of the boil, so that will be fine (and hopefully it added a bit of glucose to help the lactic acid production). But I've also just dumped in 400 grams of frozen passionfruit pulp (at 4 days in). I'm hoping it would have been sanitised enough out of the packet, but being frozen means they could have gotten away with it being less than sanitary. Plus the Philly Sour yeast doesn't seem to be the most robust organism around.

I'd have thought preserved fruit would have been a bit safer, since aren't they put into the jars in boiling water? So if it didn't start fermenting in the jar, can't see why it would start in the fermenter. But then again, given they've probably already been boiled, probably wouldn't hurt to do it again.

Ive used frozen raspberries on a number of occasions - straight out of the freezer into the fermenter. No infection issues - I would think its pretty clear of infection in the pack.

As a side note think about whether the fruit will block whatever drainage (either plain old tap or floating dip tube) I made the mistake once of dumping raspberries straight into a traditional fermenter it was hard work getting the tap to run to drain to keg. kept getting clogged with fruit. now I put the fruit into a sanitise hop bag if I think it will clog the tap

Rather than boiling and potentially changing the taste, you can use some Campden tablets (or Potassium Metabisulphate) to sterilise. However, I make plenty of Mead, and I don't usually pasturise the fruit. Slightly different to a beer, but same principal. Once fermentation is active, it's a pretty inhospitable environment for an infection to take off (during active fermentation). The types of infections you want to avoid are generally ones that will sour a beer, in my experience.

Need to be ontop of sanitation but not anal once fermentation has started with a healthy colony in my view.

Back