Adding Malt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishard

Reaction score
g'day fellas

Well my next brew is bubbling away nicely at around 20C just sitting on the concrete shelf I have in my garage.........(given the heater pad to the cat) :rolleyes:

Whats the go when adding malt to your mix? When I put the malt in on top of the water as soon as the steam hit the malt it went all lumpy, this made it hard to mix in with some lumps not dissolving..........is this a problem?

anyway apart from that it seems to be going well

cheers Russ

Hi Fishard,

I presume you're talking about dried malt extract (DME). Fermentation should break the lumps up. I don't think you'll have any problems.

Cheers,

Corey

Thats why i use LME. But if u keep stiring it will all disolve but it takes a long time. It is a lot better if you are boiling. But dont worry too much as i reckon u will be doing away with the DME/LME and going into the mash side of things if you got the bug real good.

fishard,
I use this method and dont have a problem. I have added up to 2 kilos at the end of the boil. Just give it a good stir and by the time it comes back to the boil it should all be melted.

cheers

mix the malt with hot water first
dissolves easy , don't mix it with LME

I always add DME to cold water, no lumps!

Jovial Monk

Talking about Dried Malt Extract here
Add it to cold water :D
No lumps :lol: :lol:

Jovial_Monk said:
I always add DME to cold water, no lumps!

Jovial Monk
Not sure what laws of physics operate in your brewery, but in mine DME + cold water = lumps. Every time.

Boil it. Or at least add it at the end of the boil.

Has Jm beign drinking his big beers like his famous spiced lager

Thanks for the advice fellas,

I think this is going to be a consuming hobby......(in more ways than one) :lol: My wife is already making snide comments about me and my keg.(is this normal)
Between this and fishing she could be on the outter..hehehehe

cheers Russ

fishard said:
My wife is already making snide comments about me and my keg.
I found my wife settled down after moving the keg out of the double bed. Sheesh, I told her the diacetyl rest was only for a couple of days.

I find a sterilised whisk does the trick to break up lumps which may have occured.

Cheers - Duff.

Back