Adding Hop Pellet's To The Wort.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarneyG

Reaction score
Hey Guy's,

I have just started a batch of wheat beer using the following ingredients:

SAF premium wheat yeast K97.
BlackRock Wheat Can 1.7kg.
2 X Booster Bag Wheat(1kg). From Brewcraft.

After I mixed up all the ingredients and the WORT started to ferment, I found a couple of Hop Pellet bag's that I forgot to boil up and add to the WORT. :unsure:

Now the big questions are:

Do I still need to add these Hop pellet's to the WORT?

Or can I boil them up for 10 minutes, and add them to the WORT
after fermenting just before the priming?

Any feedback and help would be much appreciated.
:D

I would boil them up now and then chuck them into the wort while still fermenting. I guess just be careful not to use too much water (500ml should be ok?) so that you raise the wort temp too much.

Have done kits before where you get a hop bag and sit it in a coffee cup of boiling water for 5 mins then turf it in when you pitch the yeast (tea bag & all).

Welcome to the group BarneyG,

If you didn't boil the can of malt, you will have hop bittering in it - however it doesn't hurt to add some more hops especially if you are adding boosters to the kit - if you steep the teabags in a cup of boiled water and toss them in now, all you will be doing is adding to the aroma - the hops need to be boiled with the malt in order to bitter the brew...Plus you risk infection by breaking the air seal during an important phase of fermentation.

If you have a second fermenter, why not rack the wort off the yeast cake after a week or two of primary fermentation? You help reduce the sediment, improve the clarity of the beer and it allows you to dry hop the pellets after racking into the secondary fermenter??

Cheers,

TL

TRough,

The Hops are only going in for the last 10 minutes of the boil, therefore I would think it would be for flavour more than bittering .

Rook

You could put them in a clean mug, pour some boiling water on. Stir and tip into fermenter. Should be fine. It will add a little flavour and mostly aroma.

Or you could save them in your frig for another brew. Beer will still be okay without them.

therook said:
TRough,

The Hops are only going in for the last 10 minutes of the boil, therefore I would think it would be for flavour more than bittering .

Rook
Rook,

Agreed - that's my point! If bittering is needed, then a boil needs to be done to allow for the isomerization of the alpha acids with the malt being boiled in water. There is a relationship between the amount of malt and the efficiency of this isomerization (aka hop utilization) here...

Cheers,

TL

Back