Adding Grain To A Kilkenny Kit & Kilo Recipe?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt Browne

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have been brewing a Kilkenny style recipe containing:

Black Rock NZ Comp. Bitter
1kg Light Powdered Malt
15g of Fuggles Finishing Hops (Standard Method)
15g of Fuggles Finishing Hops (Quick Boil Method)
Safale Yeast.

I really like the style and am wondering if adding some specialty grain to the above would help and if so what would be the best grain to use? and how much?

:icon_chickcheers:

Matt

You could steep some light/medium crystal, say 100-200g to give it a bit more complexity

When it comes to carbing the finished beer try to carb it at the lower end

Hey there Matt, I'd steep some (say 150g) Caraaroma or Carared in 2L water and boil all the hops in the resulting strained liquor for no more than 20 minutes. Add that to the fermenter (using it to dissolve the goop), add the dried malt, then top up to the required volume. Won't quite be Kilkenny, but should brighten it up a little and should be much more interesting. I wouldn't worry about a late hops addition as its not really to style, by boiling them for 15- 20 minutes it just bumps up the flavour up a little without any significant additional bitterness.

Hi Guys

Thanks for your responses.
The carared sounds interesting and think I may go for that initially.

Happy brewing

Matt

Try some nice dark crystal (Bairds or Simpsons), as above around 200g and perhaps some Choc Malt or Choc Chit for some roasty/coffee flavours.... 50-100g

Back