Adding Dextrose A Week Later

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frag_Dog

Reaction score
I've been reading this forum for a while. Lots of great information which has given me a good start!

Anyway, I'm on my 4th brew (just kit and kilo, nothing that fancy) and I've forgot to add 300g of dextrose. I'm making what is said to be a Hahn Superdry clone and I missed out of the dextrose. I'm not too worried if it doesn't come out tasting much like SuperDry, just something drinkable.

Can I add the dextrose now, 1 week into fermentation? The fermention appears to have stopped (no airlock action). I have no problem leaving it for another week or 2 if I add the dextrose and 'save' the beer.

Will not adding the dextrose affect the beer to a large degree? I understand it will have a lower alcholo content but is that it?

My understanding is that dextrose adds nothing but alcohol, no contribution to body etc. So basically it will just have less alcohol.

I don't see a problem with adding the dex now, just boil it up with some water to dissolve and sanitise it and pour it in, should ferment off pretty quick being only 300g.

Just boil it up and wack it in.

Once I made up a batch of 28L with ingredients that were meant to make 23L... I only realised after taking a gravity reading after fermentation had completed... I just boiled up some dextrose, poured it in and gently stirred it in to the fermenter. It started bubbling again that night and a month later I had some delicious beer.

When making UK style bitters I add dextrose according to the style, for example 17% when doing a Burton style ale like Marstons Pedigree. Because I cube (no chill) I don't add the dex to the original wort and recently have been putting it in after about 4 days at the time I dry hop. No particular reason for this, it works ok and no problems so far.

Frag dog, just as a matter of interest, bottle one (or even 2) as-is, to compare it in a couple of months with the one with the dex :p .

Then boil the dex, add it in. you might need to give the fermenter a gentle stir (you may not).

If you do decide to add the extra dextrose, make sure you dissolve it in some water. You can do a gentle simmer like already mentioned, or use some boiled and cooled water.

Do not add the dextrose to the brew as a dry powder. It will volcano due to the dissolved carbon dioxide in the brew.

300 gms is just going to add a bit more alcohol. Being a brew with dry enzyme (I assume it is using a dry enzyme being a dry kit) there will already be extra simple sugars and extra alcohol thanks to the enzyme action.

Make sure when using a dry enzyme, give the brew an extra 5 days in the fermenter, the enzymes tend to take longer to work.

its common top add sugars later in fermentation especially when doing belgian beers, it apparently makes them drier or better or something haha

Thanks for the replies.

I added the Dex with a little under a litre of boiled water (cooled of course). So I'll see how I go.

Butters,

I did not bottle one seperatly, mainly because I'm lazy.....

Latest posts

Back