Adding Dex To Thin Out Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maark

Reaction score
Hi all
I have been doing full extract for 4 brews now and am very happy with the results..even though i am loving the thick malty feel of these brews i was wondering how to thin them out a little to make them easier drinking..obviously dex would do this but how much?
Most of my brews have between 6 and 7 kgs of malt(double batches 46lt)..would substituting 1 to 2 kgs of dex have the desired affect of thinning ,but no adverse flavours?

cheers mark

When extract brewing with LDME I do a 2:1 malt:dex ratio, and the beers finish with a nice FG no matter what yeast is used.

For 23 liters it's generally 2kg LDME and 1kg of dextrose - especially when using confectionary-grade malts, as they tend to be less fermentable than beer-dedicated ones.

that makes sense and i will try it..i want to make a knappstein clone but want it thin and clear

cheers mark

nick is on the money here I usually do 70/30 so 70% malt to 30% dex. I bought that bintani brand LDME which as said is made for a number of things and it does finish high.

If you buy say briess which is made for brewing then I would prob use that as a all malt brew and it comes in all different so you could put wheat in it as well if using the briess malt. Its alot dearer I do remember doing one once it wasnt cheap but it was as close to AG you can get using extract.

Edit the ratios :p

yes, 70/30 is a good ratio.
Depending on the beer, I also drop the bitterness a little when I sub out some malt for dextrose. It seems to be a little unbalanced towards the bitter side if not.

ok thanks ..all great info
i will drop bitterness a fraction

Would just dropping the amount of malt and not replacing it with dex have a similar outcome if you are happy with a lower alc beer? I usually brew with all extract and just got the 20kg dry malt extract from Craftbrewer which is the Bintani, was thinking of about 2.25kg per 23L with no dex

Back