Adding clove and cinamon to Stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miran

Reaction score
I am doing 10 liters batches. Tomorrow is Stout day. Thinking to use some whole cloves and cinamon sticks. I guess the best time will be during boil. I am using prepared malts. this time morgan ones. Any idea how many grams cloves and cinamon?

Start with 1 or 2 cloves and see how you go. Can always add more next time. Don't want to end up with a medicinal beer.

Cinnamon? Using whole scrolls or powdered? Maybe 1/4 tsp? Or if whole try a half a scroll?

Start with 1 or 2 cloves and see how you go. Can always add more next time. Don't want to end up with a medicinal beer.

Cinnamon? Using whole scrolls or powdered? Maybe 1/4 tsp? Or if whole try a half a scroll?
Used two soaked cloves, five cardamom pods (crushed) and 1 cinamon stick ( 5 grams) during boil. Instead of using corn sugar I used sugars from woolie (caster sugar) 200 grams. 500 gram EDM added to boiling water. IG:1.050. Have heard that using sucrose could ruin the taste?

Go easy with the cloves - They have an anaesthetic effect too much in the beer will give you that "numb lips" feeling

licorice is pretty nice in a stout too, 6-10ml licorice extract -
if you enjoy a sambucca, you'll enjoy, adds a subtle warmy.
6-8 mls of licorice will be maybe half strength of flavour in sambucca, to give you an idea.
my missus detests licorice, so it's 1 brew i get to drink by myself

Latest posts

Back