Addin Gypsum Q. Mix With Boiling Water First?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mje1980

Old Thunder brewery
Reaction score
I have just read in greg noonans book that i should add gypsum in a small amount of boiling water to help dissolve it before adding to mash and sparge water. Is this correct??, i have noticed that when i add it to the water, even though it is hot, it doesnt seem to completely dissolve.

Any advice would be appreciated.

mje1980 said:
I have just read in greg noonans book that i should add gypsum in a small amount of boiling water to help dissolve it before adding to mash and sparge water. Is this correct??, i have noticed that when i add it to the water, even though it is hot, it doesnt seem to completely dissolve.

Any advice would be appreciated.
[post="65677"][/post]​
I stick mine in the HLT when I'm boiling the water (to sanitize and drive off chlorine) the night before.

or you can grind it up with a mortar & pestle to make it dissolve easier

Thread revival (saves starting a newie)
is there any special grade of gypsum needed for brewing.?
or do i just grab whatever i can find and boil away with my mash and sparge water.?
where is the cheapest easiest place to source it.?
i need to fix up my english bitter water.

KoNG

LHBS should have all the Gypsum you want. If I wish to "Burtonize" my water I just add 5 teaspoons to 40 litres of water. In other words I just chuck it in the HLT and mix it up as the water gets hotter.

Can't say for sure if it's the correct amount but it seems to be OK. I also chuck in a teaspoon of Epsom Salts and 1/4 a teaspoon of table salt and a stick of celery. :beerbang: Actually pulling your leg over the celery. :lol:

Warren -

Warren,
I'm halfway to Burton... i've got the salt and celery..!

Back