Add Hop Flavour During 1st Frmentation?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eyelusion

Reaction score
I have some beer in the fermenter bubbling away (day 2) and was just wondering if i could add some hop flavour to it now or is it too late.

I was thinking of boiling some cascade hops in water for 10 min and just stirring it in?
Is this ok?

yes or you could even just toss the hops in if you want (dry hopping)

you have reminded me. i need to go dry hop mine, thanks :)

Dry Hopping(HOW TO BREW JOHN PALMER)
Hops can also be added to the fermenter for increased hop aroma in the final beer. This is called "dry hopping" and is best done late in the fermentation cycle. If the hops are added to the fermenter while it is still actively bubbling, then a lot of the hop aroma will be carried away by the carbon dioxide. It is better to add the hops (usually about a half ounce per 5 gallons) after bubbling has slowed or stopped and the beer is going through the conditioning phase prior to bottling. The best way to utilize dry hopping is to put the hops in a secondary fermenter, after the beer has been racked away from the trub and can sit a couple of weeks before bottling, allowing the volatile oils to diffuse into the beer. Many homebrewers put the hops in a nylon mesh bag - a Hop Bag, to facilitate removing the hops before bottling. Dry hopping is appropriate for many pale ale and lager styles.
All i do wait till it's nearly finished fermenting place the required amount in a hop sack and toss into the fermenter..

What you are describing is 'hop tea'. If you have one of those pump type coffee pots the name escapes me then you can push the plunger and just add the liquid or if not no problem the hop mush will just sink down into the yeastcake.

What you are describing is 'hop tea'. If you have one of those pump type coffee pots the name escapes me then you can push the plunger and just add the liquid or if not no problem the hop mush will just sink down into the yeastcake.
I've done this twce now (hop tea) with Hallertau pellets and it gave me bugger all flavour or taste.

It is the fact that it's pellets or teabaging rather than dry hopping it?

How many g's did you put in for how many L's?

Sponge

Ahh sorry DU, I was asking diggs as to what amount he used as he didn't get any flavour from them.

I tend to normally go anywhere between 1-3g/L depending upon style and hop

Sponge

This is my recipe in the fermenter atm (at day 2 atm).

Coopers PA tin
1kg DME
500g Dextrose
150g crystal
15g POR (boiled for 10)
S05 yeast
23 litres

Im thinking of adding 25g of amarillo hops to it? thoughts?

This is my recipe in the fermenter atm (at day 2 atm).

Coopers PA tin
1kg DME
500g Dextrose
150g crystal
15g POR (boiled for 10)
S05 yeast
23 litres

Im thinking of adding 25g of amarillo hops to it? thoughts?

Personally I'd add 100g but that's just me.

What you don't want to do is add hops while the beer is still fermenting as the yeast will strip a lot of the hop flavour and aroma away. Wait until it's almost fully fermented then add the hops.

What about if I dry hopped 25g of Amarillo hops and 25g of Cascade?
Would this be acceptable?

How many g's did you put in for how many L's?
Sponge
Hey Sponge, from memory it's a full pack (12gms) of pellets, steeped for 10 mins in about 150mls water - going into a 23Lt batch.

I would suggest as a rule of thumb to use 1g per litre same as the rough rule for dry hopping. Steep for about 30mins and then chuck the lot into the fermenter or if you are worried about clarity just strain the hops out.

My next batch I plan on dry hopping with 15g Hersbrucker Hops as a pose to the 12g finishing hops recommended. I'm going to drop them straight in my primary after a week of fermenting (maybe sooner), not going to worry about a bag. I keep hearing the finishing hops (tea bags) add very little, if any, flavour to the final product.

As TB stated above, I use 1g/L if dry hopping as a minimum, otherwise I don't find it adds all that much to the beer.

And if doing a beer where I want significant hop aroma, go closer to 2-3g/L.

I also don't worry about using a hop bag, and just throw them in. except I've been a little more cautious when using flowers as I had a blocked tap once and often throw them into a bag just to make sure - although I've successfully dry hopped with flowers without an issue previously.

Sponge

Yeah cheers guys, next time will be using flowers and a lot more of them.

I love my IPA's and other really hoppy beers, so am looking for really strong hop flavours and aroma.

Back