Act/sthn Nsw - Yalumba 100l Octavius Barrels

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duffbowl

Reaction score
I have recently organised a bulk buy of 100L octaves for the Canberra Brewers and would like to open the opportunity up to other brewers in the ACT and Southern NSW.

The octaves were used up to recently to store Yalumba Octavius shiraz, and have been steam cleaned internally and treated with sulphur to prevent mould developing. Those received in the last shipment have proven to be in very good condition and held water without leakage. These octaves are only released for disposal once a year, so the next buy will not be until December 2012.

I'm currently talking to Yalumba's preferred freight company and they have indicated that the price will be $244 for a single pallet, which is $61/barrel. I'll try and get a better price, but have been told by others that it's pretty competitive for a single pallet. Budget for $141/barrel for a single pallet. As an example, the price for four pallets was a touch under $500, with the final price being $111/barrel.

Barrels will be ordered in lots of four only. Delivery will be to the southern suburbs of Canberra, with purchasers responsible for picking them up from there.

1. Canberra Brewers
2. Canberra Brewers
3. Canberra Brewers
4. Canberra Brewers

5. Canberra Brewers
6. Canberra Brewers

(NOTE: More than 12 can be ordered, numbering just for clarity)

which oak are they?
i could be tempted if its hungarian.

which oak are they?
I believe they are either French or American. Given that they haven't been scrapped back to bare and refired, the oak flavour will be rather subtle.

put me down for one. ill figure how to get it from Canberra later
1. Canberra Brewers
2. Canberra Brewers
3. Canberra Brewers
4. Canberra Brewers

5. Canberra Brewers
6. Canberra Brewers
7. barls

which oak are they?
Bloody hell Barls...what's the deal with you and Hungarian oak!? :lol:

Really tempting offer...never realised they used such small oak barrels for that wine. Quite an unusual practice.

Really tempting offer...never realised they used such small oak barrels for that wine. Quite an unusual practice.

Got the hint from a couple of winemakers here in Canberra. They knew Octavius was being bottled and pointed me in the right direction. I dare say that if Yalumba didn't have their own coopers, they would use barriques like everyone else. Certainly good value considering the prices I got quote for new 50L barrels was twice as much.

If anyone wants to organise a buy for their area, let me know and I'll email the details.

ummm i like it and its different. do i need to say more.
its not quite american and not quite french its in between.
you want one and we can split shipping to as far as sydney.

anyone else in sydney want one, happy to share shipping. more than likely will be going through one of the two couriers i know and get a good deal from.

ummm i like it and its different. do i need to say more.
its not quite american and not quite french its in between.
you want one and we can split shipping to as far as sydney.

anyone else in sydney want one, happy to share shipping. more than likely will be going through one of the two couriers i know and get a good deal from.

Yo barls,
Ill take you up on that. I may even drive down to pick em up.

1. Canberra Brewers
2. Canberra Brewers
3. Canberra Brewers
4. Canberra Brewers

5. Canberra Brewers
6. Canberra Brewers
7. barls
8. adryargument

cool that works. cheers mate. we will talk closer to the pick up.

Eight makes a nice number. I'll give it a couple more days for late starters, and to get confirmation of shipping from Adelaide.

Eight makes a nice number. I'll give it a couple more days for late starters, and to get confirmation of shipping from Adelaide.
Okay, I'm calling closed.

I'll contact the transport company tomorrow to get a final quote for shipment. I'm *hoping* it will be $10-15 cheaper per barrel.

Purchasers of barrels.

Now is the time to deposit your hard earned into the Canberra Brewers account.

Canberra Brewers
Westpac, Petrie Plaza
BSB 032 719
Account 451204

Mark your transfer with your AHB nickname and the word barrel in the relevant field. For example:
Duffbowl Barrel

The magic amount is $111.50 per barrel ($80 for the barrel itself, $31.50 for delivery to Canberra). Money due in the next seven days (18 January).

I'll contact the transport company tomorrow to get a final quote for shipment. I'm *hoping* it will be $10-15 cheaper per barrel.

Seems they made a few mistakes calculating shipment costs. Getting eight barrels delivered to Canberra for $252 total, $31.50 each. Much nicer than $61/barrel!

And for clarity:

1. Canberra Brewers
2. Canberra Brewers
3. Canberra Brewers
4. Canberra Brewers

5. Canberra Brewers
6. barls
7. adryargument
8. Quintrix

cool will put it in when i get home tonight mate.

Damn! Missed out. If anyone drops out in the next week, I'm happy to step up.

Otherwise, if there are more barrels available, can you PM me the details please?

Cheers

Pity these weren't closer to me. I could do with a couple new barrels this size and it's better than the $500 new price.

I would also be interested in the details and those of the transport company if you would share. :icon_cheers:

Damn! Missed out. If anyone drops out in the next week, I'm happy to step up.

Otherwise, if there are more barrels available, can you PM me the details please?

Cheers
Josh,

Must be your lucky day; I've had someone drop out. Payment details as previously listed :)

Awesome, I'll pay Monday.

barls and adryargument, I'd like to jump aboard your shipping arrangement if that's possible?

Back