Acquired taste

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

i-a-n

Reaction score
I'm not really concerned, but..........

I've noticed that with most brews, and I include shop bought here, that I'm initially not overly enamoured with, they seem to become far more palatable after 2 or 3 litres at a sitting.

Naturally I'm not referring to brews which are contaminated or "off".

Am I the only one to notice this?

It seems to be a strange phenomenon. And of course, ultimately they all get used up.

I agree. But I have brewed a couple that make me wish I had saved a couple after that the fact. And none that I have purchased.

I just can't bring myself to enjoy Belgian beer. Admittedly I've never tried THAT hard, but every single time I've made the effort to try a Belgian, I've never been able to drink more than a few sips. I just can't comprehend why people want beer that tastes like peppered banana. I mean, would you take a banana, roll it in pepper, and eat it? I doubt it. So what's up with Belgian beers?

I dunno maybe I just haven't come across that holy grail of Belgians yet.

Peppered Banana? What did you drink? Never had that experience with any beer...

That description of Belgian beer is a bit like saying all pale ales taste like pasionfruit-driven fruit salad.

Sit down with some chimay blue, mellow out, enjoy... then move to leffe radieuse then move to paler Belgian styles.

Or don't, whatever floats your boat.

i-a-n said:
I'm not really concerned, but..........

I've noticed that with most brews, and I include shop bought here, that I'm initially not overly enamoured with, they seem to become far more palatable after 2 or 3 litres at a sitting.

Naturally I'm not referring to brews which are contaminated or "off".

Am I the only one to notice this?

It seems to be a strange phenomenon. And of course, ultimately they all get used up.
I believe it to be scientific fact (although do not provide the reference) that repeated exposure to new flavour combinations, that may not be neccesarily to your liking, will be overcome to varying degrees and in some cases to the point of enjoyment. I think 8 exposures was the magic number and probably less with alcoholic beverages.The effect is acelerated, particularly so, when endorsed by someone that is trusted or whose judgement is valued.
Cellar palate is one outcome, the other is a marketers tool for persuasion.

Took me a couple of years to get used to Coriander leaves but now I grow them by the bucket load.

I might be missing something but after 2-3 litres of whatever, you are probably a bit pissy and care less about the flavour and more about the good times.

Some genius recently did a study that suggested when people drink a beer, they often want more.

Evidently true in your case, often true in mine.

Crusty said:
Leave Rosemary out of it, it wasn't her fault.
Nobody takes the thyme for pun threads any more, it's good to see.

Points for anyone who can work marjoram or chervil in (and no not working a gerbil into Marjorie, that's just perverted).

Crusty said:
This is getting out of hand, I'm going to give Basil a call.
That's no way to curry favor, you dill.

Someone mention magic? Getting a bit chilli here.
The beer might taste better after a couple of litres but it tastes the best when u only have a couple leftm

Gryphon Brewing said:
Why did coriander leave ?
Because he flashed his Wangaratta or was it his "Old Bar" :)

Sorry OP .....cheers

Back