Accidental Crash Chill

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CamM

Reaction score
My place blacked out momentarially during the Brisbane storms yesterday, long enough to cause the temp controller built into my wine fridge to reset itself to 13deg! I realised today when I got home today and checked on it. The beer is a sweet stout and was pitched on Saturday afternoon. It is at 1.0315 ish now (est. FG 1.014), but it looks like most of the yeast has dropped out of suspension.

I have reset the temp controller back up to 18 (highest it will go), is there anything else I can or should do other than wait? Will the yeast "lift up" back into suspension again? Should I give it a stir?

Cheers, Cam

I'm not 100% but I would suggest getting an extreme sterile spoon or mixer whatever and try giving it a nice stir trying to lift some of the cake from the bottom without creating any splashing or bubbles. You may also give your fermenter a shake in circles gently. I'm not sure whether the yeast will just lift back up on its own. Hope it helps Chris

Which yeast was it, and what was the OG? Depending on how far through the fermentation it is, you may be able to let it free-rise in temperature from here to give the yeast more incentive to do its job. Rocking the fermenter should be enough to get the yeast back in suspension, but you can stir it if you're extremely sanitary and minimise splashing/aeration. Failing that, you could try pitching more yeast. If you go down that route though, make sure you pitch it while it's actively fermenting, as it's probably not going in to ideal conditions for the early phases.

Also, what's your expected FG? A sweet stout obviously is going to finish relatively high anyway (although 1.030 is probably a bit high).

Cheers,
tallie

Back