Accessing dried yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RegBadgery

Reaction score
It can be difficult to obtain some of the Saf and Danstar yeasts (at least that's been my experience). In particular some of the Saf yeasts are not sold in small sachets. Colin Marshall of BrewYourOwn in Canberra buys in bulk and repackages, so making some of the harder to find dried yeasts available. My list is a few months old so there might have been changes in the meantime - anyway I thought I'd post this listing and following descriptions.

Colin can be contacted at...

Phone (02) 6296 1412
Fax (02) 6296 3227 Email: [email protected]

I seem to remember that Scot from Ocean Brewing might also supply some of these yeasts - but am not sure. - [email protected]

cheers
reg

Safale S-04 Ale Yeast
Safale K-97
Safbrew S-33 Ale Yeast
SafBrew T-58
SafLager W-34/70
SafLager S-23 Lager Yeast
SafLager S-189 Lager Yeast
Danstar Manchester
Danstar Nottingham
Danstar Windsor

The DCL range of dried brewing yeast.

Safale S-04 Ale Yeast (Saccharomyces Cerevisiae)
A well-known, commercial English ale yeast, selected for its fast fermentation character and its ability to form a very compact sediment at the end of the fermentation, helping to improve beer clarity. This yeast is recommended for the production of a large range of ale beers and is specially well adapted to cask-conditioned ales and fermentation in cylindro-conical tanks. High sedimentation. Recommended temperature range: 18C-24C.

Safale K-97 (Saccharomyces Cerevisiae)
A typical German ale yeast, selected for its ability to form a large firm head when fermenting. This is a top cropping ale yeast specially recommended for the production of wheat/weizen beers. It is most suitable for the production of a wide range of ale beers and is well adapted to open tanks. Low sedimentation. Recommended temperature range: 18C-24C.

Safbrew S-33 Ale Yeast (Saccharomyces Cerevisiae)
A very popular general purpose yeast, displaying both very robust conservation and consistent performance. This yeast produces superb flavour profiles and can be used for the production of lager type or ale beers. Medium sedimentation. Recommended temperature range: 15C-24C.

SafBrew T-58 (Saccharomyces Cerevisiae)
A speciality yeast selected for its estery somewhat peppery and spicy flavour development. Low sedimentation. May have Belgian origins. Recommended fermentation temprature: 18C-24C.

SafLager W-34/70 ( Saccharomyces Uvarum)
A world-famous Weihenstephan lager strain with unique technological specs and high sedimentation. Possibly Bohemian in origin. Recommended temperature range: 9C-15C (ideally 12C).

SafLager S-23 Lager Yeast ( Saccharomyces Uvarum)
S-23 is a genuine German style dried lager yeast, developing the best of its lager notes under low-temperature fermentation. Good flocculation with excellent attenuation. The right choice for the production of a wide range of lager and pilsener beers in cylindro-conical tanks. Recommended temperature range: 9C-15C (ideally 12C).

SafLager S-189 Lager Yeast ( Saccharomyces Uvarum)
Originating from a famous German university, this strain is probably the most popular lager yeast world-wide and is used by a large number of commercial breweries. Selected for its fairly neutral flavour development, this yeast features high sedimentation and is recommended for a wide range of lager and pilsen beers. Recommended temperature range: 9C-15C (ideally 12C).

Manchester Ale (Saccharomyces Cerevisiae)
This strain shows sensory contribution in the tradition of an old English style beer. It produces a very complex, woody and full-bodied ale when fermented at warm temperatures. Medium attenuation similar to the London. Recommended 17 to 21C (64 to 70F) fermentation temperature range.

Nottingham Ale (Saccharomyces Cerevisiae)
This strain was selected for its highly flocculant (precipitating) and relatively full attenuation (transforming sugar into alcohol) properties. It produces low concentrations of fruity and estery aromas and has been described as neutral for an ale yeast, allowing the full natural flavor of malt to develop. Good tolerance to low fermentation temperatures, 14C (57F), allow this strain to brew lager-style beer. Recommended 14 to 21C (57 to 70F) fermentation temperature range.

Windsor Ale (Saccharomyces Cerevisiae)
Windsor ale yeast originates, as you would expect, in England. This yeast produces beers which are estery to both palate and nose with a slight fresh yeasty flavor. These are usually described as full-bodied, fruity English ales. Depending on the substrate, the Windsor demonstrates moderate attenuation which will leave a relatively high gravity (density). Recommended 17 to 21C (64 to 70F) fermentation temperature range.

Reg - I am fairly certain S-23 is of the carlbergensis strain, not uvaram.

Out of interest, the Country Brewer chain of stores sells S-04, S-23, and K-97 yeasts and rarely runs out of these.

Sorry for the shameless plug :p

Cheers,
Pete

:chug:

Is yeast likely to survive being posted? I mean, I'm sure that there are shops in Perth with good yeasts, I'm just curious.

Vinds.

Vindaloo said:
Is yeast likely to survive being posted? I mean, I'm sure that there are shops in Perth with good yeasts, I'm just curious.

Vinds.
West brew stock safale, saflager and safwheat :)
Big Bubble do too afaik.
Malthouse stock all three, and they have 3 vials of liquid yeast (whitelabs) left too.

Not sure about other stores :)

Dried yeast should post fine though as far as I'm aware. Liquid yeast is a different story though, as it must be kept refrigerated.

That's how you delete posts :)

Wow, my first post deletion. I feel all warm and fuzzy somewhere...

I was in Westbrew the other day picking up another 30L fermenter, and noted that they lacked grain and so on - do they sell it and I just missed it? They have all the kits you can imagine, but do they have extracts and grains?

Vinds.

I'm sure most brew stores would sell most yeat varieties. Just call them up enough time before brew day and they can order them in.

Dry and liquid yeast can go through the mail. Some amazing data from www.stpats.com.

cheers
reg

++++++++
Can Wyeast be shipped safely?
Consider the following facts.

* St. Pat's has shipped over 50,000 Wyeast to all 50 states and 72 countries on 6 continents during all seasons.
* Wyeast shipped to Saudi Arabia in June took 4 weeks to arrive and survived.
* Wyeast lost in UPS for 6 weeks in August survived.
* Wyeast routinely shipped all over the world often takes over 6 weeks to arrive and has always survived.
* Wyeast left from April-September in a garage in Austin during the hottest summer on record survived.
* Recently discovered 1994 Wyeast, stored in fridge for over 4.5 years, rose up in 8 days and made great beer.
* All Wyeast are shipped at least once. That's how they get to the shops.

That said, it is possible to kill yeast with extended exposure to extreme temperatures. Here's some of the things you should never do with Wyeast. Do not put Wyeast on top of your fridge, or on a dashboard or windowsill in the hot sun and do not freeze Wyeast.
++++++++++++

Vindaloo said:
That's how you delete posts :)

Wow, my first post deletion. I feel all warm and fuzzy somewhere...

I was in Westbrew the other day picking up another 30L fermenter, and noted that they lacked grain and so on - do they sell it and I just missed it? They have all the kits you can imagine, but do they have extracts and grains?

Vinds.
Extracts are on the shelf to the left just as you go in the door, theyre at the end of the shelf below the kits. They stock most of the morgans range, and coopers pale. Theyve also got cheap LLME and LDME in 1kg tubs on the same shelf.

Grains are below the "kit convertors" pretty much opposite the extracts. They dont have many grains on that shelf though, only the small 500g bags. They keep the 2kg bags out the back, just ask for them :)

I think I spend too much time spending money at west brew :p

edit- they also stock bulk (28kg?) extracts out the back, and bulk (10kg?) grains too..
The kit wall is funky tho :) So many to choose from.

RegBadgery said:
Dry and liquid yeast can go through the mail. Some amazing data from www.stpats.com.

cheers
reg

++++++++
Can Wyeast be shipped safely?
Consider the following facts.

* St. Pat's has shipped over 50,000 Wyeast to all 50 states and 72 countries on 6 continents during all seasons.
* Wyeast shipped to Saudi Arabia in June took 4 weeks to arrive and survived.
* Wyeast lost in UPS for 6 weeks in August survived.
* Wyeast routinely shipped all over the world often takes over 6 weeks to arrive and has always survived.
* Wyeast left from April-September in a garage in Austin during the hottest summer on record survived.
* Recently discovered 1994 Wyeast, stored in fridge for over 4.5 years, rose up in 8 days and made great beer.
* All Wyeast are shipped at least once. That's how they get to the shops.

That said, it is possible to kill yeast with extended exposure to extreme temperatures. Here's some of the things you should never do with Wyeast. Do not put Wyeast on top of your fridge, or on a dashboard or windowsill in the hot sun and do not freeze Wyeast.
++++++++++++
Wow :) cheers for that. I'd been told by my HBS that they didnt order it because it had to be kept refrigerated. Might inform them of this.

In the mean time, next time I want some liquid yeast I'll order it from ESB and get them to ship it to me :)

I think I spend too much time spending money at west brew :p

I think you do! :)

Cheers for the info - obviously I was distracted or something when I went in there last. Had the girlfriend with me...

But yeah, what a range of kits. Quite amazing.

We should meet up and go one day after xmas (and after I've moved into my new place).

Vinds.

Your hbs store is correct in arguing that liquid yeast should be refridgerated but it can be sent through the post ok. (I think that dried yeast should also be kept in the fridge and some brew stores follow this practice).

ESB add a small icepack to their yeast shipments. Other shops like grain and grape in Victoria bung a wrapped wyeast sachet in an overnight express envelope and bobs your uncle. I've received yeast using both mechanisms and have been equally happy with the results.

cheers
reg

my hbs guy ( colin marshal B.Y.O.A.H.) reckons keep all yeasts refridgerated as a precaution to protect them and you will never get a dud result , lots of dud results from non refridged and unknown age kit yeasts apparently ;)

Any idea if Colin is planning to get his website back online?

cheers
reg

no idea reg but will ask him when i see him next ....
prob in the new year

he is the best hbs guy i have ever dealt with

(no i dont work for him he just is that good !!)

:chug: :chug:

Back