Acceptable Sales

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yob

Hop to it
Reaction score
Recently there has been a bit of... colour on some threads about on selling brewing equipment.. my analogy was this... (since removed)

If I bought a bag of grain from Germany and bought it a seat on the plane (cattle class of course) then got a taxi for it from the airpost to my house and subsequently decided to "to hell with pilsners, I dinne want it no more"

Can I expect to recover those costs and ask +2k for the bag of malt? The fact that it will not make better beer than a bag I buy down the road is a decision I should make well before handing over my coin to begin with.

So where id the line crossed, weve all seen systems and equipment worth thousands of dollars passed on at fractions of their cost, and to be honest it's one of the things that makes this a great forum, the fact that equipment is passed along cheaply to those stepping up. Ive given away countless items, sold other cheaply and I dont think Ive ever tried to recover incidental costs.. I take all that as a part of the cost of me learning the trade/process.. shoudl I factor in my fuel to pich up a mash tun from Frankston when I try to sell it? I really dont think so.. Should prople be charging for the welding rods when they make a new brewstand? I dont think so either..

Clearly there is a line somewhere though and some members seem to often overstep it and the ensuing shitfight is often messy..

I guess clearly stating costs in the sale would be a good start, people would then see what they are paying for...

Me? Im going to try and continue to give stufff away where I can, It keeps me out of that sort of shit fight it seems..

:huh: ;) :ph34r:

Yob said:
weve all seen systems and equipment worth thousands of dollars passed on at fractions of their cost, and to be honest it's one of the things that makes this a great forum,
Frankly, community spirit has nothing to do with it for me. Secondhand is secondhand. You don't charge a premium on retail for secondhand goods.

Back in the days of the Trading Post (not that long ago, really), 2/3 of retail for NIB/as new was where secondhand prices topped out in most cases - otherwise you'd tell them they were dreamin'.

Nothing wrong with the odd one crossing that "thats fair" line and getting the shit flung at him its entertaining for some of us. I like getting a bargain and sometimes don't mind paying a little more if its exactly what I'm after. The dreamers occasionally get away with a rip off but mostly they get found out and educates us. I say the current models not broken.

I recently bought some equipment off a member who was honest enough to let me know I was paying him more than what he payed for them. I did not have a problem with that because of the quality of the gear and it was still a great bargain IMO.

The fact that someone wanted an item quickly and/or didn't shop around for the best deal on freight does not add any value to the item itself.

For all the shit that occured in the other thread, at least people now know what the machine is worth. Dropping a hard and fast price on a secondhand item like that when there is no easily attainable retail price online or elsewhere is, in my opinion, deliberately misleading.

What peoples veiws on this scenario,

Lets say I purchased some stuff off a local member of the forum say 12 months ago. I only bought the gear because it was a bargain and I may use it at some point. I now want to sell it because I am not going to use it, but I beleive it is worth at least twice what I paid for it. Is it wrong of me to try and sell it at double my purchase price knowing that that is still a good price. And does it make it better or worse if I just do it via ebay.

bradsbrew said:
What peoples veiws on this scenario,

Lets say I purchased some stuff off a local member of the forum say 12 months ago. I only bought the gear because it was a bargain and I may use it at some point. I now want to sell it because I am not going to use it, but I beleive it is worth at least twice what I paid for it. Is it wrong of me to try and sell it at double my purchase price knowing that that is still a good price. And does it make it better or worse if I just do it via ebay.
That's not really a good analogy for buying a custom item directly from a retailer, overpaying for shipping then trying to recover all your outlay three months down the track without even disclosing so much as the name of the manufacturer let alone what it's actually worth.

bradsbrew said:
knowing that that is still a good price.
I think this is where the issue lies with the thread that spawned this discussion. Even after OP provided his price breakdown (especially after?), many seemed to think the prices was not good or maybe even ethical. I see no ethical issue with the scenario you raised.

I purchased a bit of brewing kit from a member here not so long ago. Said item was really close to the cost of a new item but was already set up how I wanted it (or at least had all the bits to be set up as such - the seller had some stuff on backwards, not sure how he used it in the first place, to be honest). I was happy to save myself some time rather than some money. There may be someone who feels the same in regards to the item under offer now but they'd need to be really lazy given the justification provided.

I don't really see why anyone should give 2 sh*ts what price another member insists on selling something for. It's up to you whether or not you think it's of value.

Sure, feel free to suggest it's overpriced but there's no need to make a court case over it.

Parks said:
feel free to suggest it's overpriced
Admin indicated that this was not appropriate behaviour. "Bullying" is the word that was used.

bradsbrew said:
I recently bought some equipment off a member who was honest enough to let me know I was paying him more than what he payed for them. I did not have a problem with that because of the quality of the gear and it was still a great bargain IMO.
that's fair enough to say, but for those of us not made of money, it leaves a very bitter taste in the mouth to discover that someone can charge a whole lot extra for something when I could go and buy it myself and save myself upwards of a grand.

it's also quite shit to be told you're bullying someone and making "false and unfounded accusations" by an overzealous mod when you bring it up with them.

krausenhaus said:
That's not really a good analogy for buying a custom item directly from a retailer, overpaying for shipping then trying to recover all your outlay three months down the track without even disclosing so much as the name of the manufacturer let alone what it's actually worth.

bum said:
I think this is where the issue lies with the thread that spawned this discussion. Even after OP provided his price breakdown (especially after?), many seemed to think the prices was not good or maybe even ethical. I see no ethical issue with the scenario you raised.

I purchased a bit of brewing kit from a member here not so long ago. Said item was really close to the cost of a new item but was already set up how I wanted it (or at least had all the bits to be set up as such - the seller had some stuff on backwards, not sure how he used it in the first place, to be honest). I was happy to save myself some time rather than some money. There may be someone who feels the same in regards to the item under offer now but they'd need to be really lazy given the justification provided.
Guys once again you are taking my comments the wrong way. The other thread has been dealt with. I thought this thread was about acceptable practise.

This was a genuine question and would like to see what the general veiw on this scenario is. Is it poor form to on sell the said items at a profit or is it ok knowing that the person who sold them to me was happy with what they received.

bum said:
Admin indicated that this was not appropriate behaviour. "Bullying" is the word that was used.
I really don't think the issue was with suggesting it was overpriced. It was the demand to the OP to explain his costs and why there was such a large mark-up.

It is quite reasonable to expect to pay for shipping and handling on a new item either from a store or direct imported. One expects that.

However when buying second hand, it is reasonable to expect that you are paying for the item only, unless otherwise stated. For example, "postage at buyer's cost".

I see no issue if the OP was trying to reclaim his costs without disclosing, just as I have no problem with him being called out for it.

Parks said:
Sure, feel free to suggest it's overpriced
oh no, you can't do that, bradsbrew will say it's offtopic and delete your post.

bradsbrew said:
The other thread has been dealt with. I thought this thread was about acceptable practise.
Yob has very clearly framed this discussion in the context of that thread. Even mentioned he'd make this thread in that thread.

Parks said:
I really don't think the issue was with suggesting it was overpriced.
Yes, that was disregarding the intelligence of other members.

bum said:
Yob has very clearly framed this discussion in the context of that thread. Even mentioned he'd make this thread in that thread.
Not to mention bradsbrew himself is only posting in here to justify the position he took in said thread.

He has as much right to post in this discussion as anyone else and his question has merit in any case.

Ok, once and for all. Moderation was actioned because of wrong information that was posted regarding the actual cost of the purchase and freight. That has since been confirmed by both parties.

That was seen by myself as "not in the spirit of the forum". Which is why I acted. As I have also stated by all means ask the question as to why it is such a high price but do not put false information in.

If anyone else wants to question moderation send a PM to admin or mods.

Any further breaches of this rule will be dealt with harshly, I think everyone has been given enough warning on this.

Latest posts

Back