Acasta Rid Build Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Acasta

Bro Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I've been brewing for a while now. Started on the stove, then larger BIAB, 2V and now 3V system.
This is the current rig:
IMAG0105.jpg

I've decided I'm sick of having shit everywhere on brew day so I'm planning on building a brewing frame to store it all on.
Its's going to be a 2 tier system, one pump electric HLT, fired kettle and a standard mash tun. I'm also looking into herms and such, but for now just want to get this going.

I obtained some steel from old desks (courtesy of cocko) and have come up with the following design. I used to CAD to draw it up.
Brew_Stand_without_dimentions.jpg

One thing I'm not sure about this the weld between the two tiers being welded parallel. I may put some bolts through to keep it supported. It probably doesn't look like much without vessels on it.
Attached is the drawing with dimentions.

Other things on the list are:
Fit kettle with weldless pickup
Get a pump
Fit MT to drain from the bottom
Fit HLT with valve, sight gauge, elec element and STC-1000

Attachments

• Brew_Stand.dwg.jpg
    Brew_Stand.dwg.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 22
If it was me, i'd consider having the mash tun up on the highest level and the HLT and the kettle on the same level.

I've had to deal with a few stuck sparges in my time as a brewer so far, and it gave me the shits. I reckon if you had the HLT on the same level as the kettle, and pumped from HLT to mash tun, and then gravity into the kettle it may be more foolproof.

My gut tells me, that the suction a pump would create, would increase the risk of a sparge getting stuck. No problem if the pump is only pulling hot water.

Id go:

HLT on one side of the structure, pump up to mash tun up higher but in the middle, and then gravity back down to the kettle on the other side of the structure.

I've had to deal with a few stuck sparges in my time as a brewer so far, and it gave me the shits. I reckon if you had the HLT on the same level as the kettle, and pumped from HLT to mash tun, and then gravity into the kettle it may be more foolproof.

My gut tells me, that the suction a pump would create, would increase the risk of a sparge getting stuck. No problem if the pump is only pulling hot water.
I have also dealt with stuck sparges and they're a pain in the ass. Something I'd definitely like to avoid. How does pumping from the MT cause stuck sparges? I've seen many (most) brew rigs with this similar design.
Thanks

I have also dealt with stuck sparges and they're a pain in the ass. Something I'd definitely like to avoid. How does pumping from the MT cause stuck sparges? I've seen many (most) brew rigs with this similar design.
Thanks

Id stop short of saying it causes them, but i've read a few posts over the years from brewers who believe that the suction from the pump can cause the grain bed to compact really tightly and get stuck.

I've never used a pump on my mash tun so i have no real world experience with this, just posts i've read in the past.

Plenty of brewers also pump from mash tun and have no problems.

I haven't updated this thread since creation pretty much, so here is what's been happening.

Made the frame as to initial specs. Learnt to weld and welded, took two 8 hour days over a week and was really great to learn.
Here is what it looks like now.
IMG_1489__Medium_.JPG

Here is the burner attachment bit which is really handy.
IMG_1486__Medium_.JPG

Thats about all for the frame, I may attach some hooks and a panel for buttons ect at some stage but for now its functional.

For the other items on the to-do list I have
Ordered two pumps, still waiting on those
Got tube for sight gauge just need to get fitting and still need wire up second STC-1000

Fitted kettle with weldless pickup
IMG_1491__Medium_.JPG
Fitted HLT with valve and elec element from $9 kmart kettle
IMG_1487__Medium_.JPG IMG_1488__Medium_.JPG

I scratched the idea to Fit MT to drain from the bottom as I couldn't be bothered yet.

Still to do:
Silicone hosing
Pumps with switches
Put together HX
Brew some beer!

HX and pump all sorted so I plummed it and ran a batch today. Except for a lower efficiently everything went smoothly surprisingly.

Here is the recirc
IMG_1494__Medium_.JPG

The temp controllers and pump switch. Controlling the HX and HLT.
IMG_1493__Medium_.JPG

Also, here is my high-tech way of measuring wort temp as it return to the mash.
IMAG0212__Medium_.jpg IMAG0214__Medium_.jpg

Back