Absolutely newby from Eltham Victoria

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woggy_g

Reaction score
HI All,

I'm just starting out brewing. Im an absolute newby. I have not brewed before and I thought that I might give it a go !
I love a good craft beer and the dream is to have a small brew pub.

I'm going to try a Coopers Australian Pale Ale as the first brew.

Crossing fingers that the first brew is good.

Woggy_G

As directed it will be a good start. Also Euro lager as directed.
Tasty and easy the drink, keep temps low and steady, all good.

Duck down to Greensbrough Home brewing supplies (New Shop is Beewah St, Greensborough) and see Dave. He sells fresh work kits that you can buy and ferment, good bloke to go in for a chat.

Getting ready to bottle. Will check sg in the morning. Now for a silly question. How much do I put in the 740 ml pet bottle. I'm going to use coopers carbonation drop. Are they any good?

Woggy_g said:
Getting ready to bottle. Will check sg in the morning. Now for a silly question. How much do I put in the 740 ml pet bottle. I'm going to use coopers carbonation drop. Are they any good?
Yep, they're fine. 2 drops per bottle will give you a good level of carbonation for the styles you've made.

A little bit of a tip though, there is no rush to bottle. Just because the beer has stopped fermenting it doesn't mean it is ready to bottle. Lots of really important stuff happens once the yeast has finished converting all the sugar to alcohol. The yeast will clean up a lot of by-products of fermentation after you've reached your FG and leave you with a cleaner tasting beer.

Everything I brew gets left in the fermenter for at least 2 weeks, sometimes longer depending on the style.

JD

Agreed, Dave is great value. I get all my grains, hops, yeast etc. from him, have for a while now.

And he does have a good selection of Fresh Wort Kits that he makes up regularly along with the full range of Coopers kits which come in handy when you need a quick keg filler.

got one of those! i have a sg of 1.012 measured yesterday. if im going to use carbonation drops, how long can i leave the wort in the fermenter before i should bottle? wont the yeast stop its work once all the wort has been used? 7 days ? or when the sg stays at 1.012 for a day or two?

Gday Woggy. I realise you must be busting to bottle your first brew, however, trust everyone's advice of waiting at least 2 weeks. A steady gravity reading over 2 or 3 days is a must but even if you reckon it's ok leave it for a bit longer. It will make a better tasting beer mate. Did you go for the fresh wort kit or the Coopers Extract?

coopers can kit with LHBS 1 kg dextrose and light malt. added some extra hops for flavour. yes. I'm busting !

It's your beer mate, but patience is the key. My 2c worth, minimum 2 weeks in the fermenter. Minimum 2 weeks in the bottle. Good luck champ. Let us know how it goes. [emoji106]

Hi and welcome. Firstly, I'll echo everyone here by recommending Dave at greensy. The dude is good value and looks after his customers. Didn't know he had a new shop - I'll have to get over there soon when I start brewing again.

Secondly, this place is a wealth of knowledge. Keep asking on here for advice and don't be put off by the occasional grumpy response you may get from a couple of people.

Thirdly, if you want to take your brewing to the next level: meet up with another brewer and learn hands on or meet up with a brew club. The Worthogs are around your area.

hi all, getting worried now. i noticed that the wort in the fermenter never formed a big krausen ring. it was fementing - lots of bubbles through the airlock in the first couple of days. no ring present. sg is at 1.012 ? is it a waste ?

What was the original gravity reading before fermentation? It sounds like it's finished. 1.012 is a tad high, but you may be able to get it down 1-2 points by raising the temp slightly. What temperature is it at right now?

Take another reading and smell it. Does it smell bad? Or does it smell like beer?
Taste it. Does it taste like flat beer?

If it tastes and smells good, you've got beer and the only thing to worry about is potentially having 1-2 points extra sugars in there. This is only a problem if they are fermentable sugars, though.

Latest posts

Back