Help Support Aussie Homebrewer by donating:

1. We have implemented the ability to gift someone a Supporting Membership now! When you access the Upgrade page there is now a 'Gift' button. Once you click that you can enter a username to gift an account Upgrade to. Great way to help support this forum plus give some kudos to anyone who has helped you.
    Dismiss Notice

About adding hops to the boiling wort

Discussion in 'Partial Mash Brewing' started by migi, 6/11/18.

1. migi

Posted 6/11/18
    Hi guys,
    Last week I did my first partial mash biab, basically what I did: 1)Normal-mash biab in 11L (19L-pot, ~3Kg of grain) 2)add part of the LME before start to boil 3)Boild&add the hops and 4)Add more LME and water until reach 21L or my target OG (1.062).
    I made the mistake of expect a 75 efficiency and finally it was 53. So I am afraid the bitterness is going to be really high (the target was 42, but now is ~55).

I have been using the brewersfriend calc recipe and I understand that doing `late additions` of LME, it increases the final IBU, because the wort is less dense. So what happened, I guess, is because my efficiency was so low, the `extraction` of bitterness was too high. Actually once in the fermenter, I saw a layer of clear wort in the surface. It is normal? It looked like oily.

What is the difference if I use less extract before boil the wort and mix all together once the boil is finished? In that case I would use less hops. In the most extreme case, why can't boil the hops with water and once it finishes, add to my wort? I guess the hop have to be boiled in wort because if not the bitterness is different or something?

Cheers,

2. mongey

Posted 7/11/18
    I only did a few partials before moving to all grain but I never boiled the Can .I mashed, drained then did the hop boil . then added to the goo in the fermenter and then topped up to where i wanted it ,volume and OG wise , with tap water .Just seemed easier to work out what was going on

but I was never too jazzed on what the actual IBUs were. I had a good of idea of what was too much from doing full tin recipes and went with the flow

Last edited: 7/11/18