Abit Of Cider Advice.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you really mix it up well before you took your original test sample?? I've done it before with a beer kit not mixing it properly and getting a really low reading.
That SG of 1.052 would be correct if you just used juice and about 200g of dex. Store bought juice form Coles or Woolies is always SG 1.048.
Your SG would have been around 1.080ish by to looks of things. What yeast did you use? SN9 will hold on till about 18% but most others die off around 10%.

mixed the shit out of it mate. i also thought it would have been quite abit higher. and i used wyeast cider cant remember the number.
any ways im gonna give it a test tomorrow and then im on goin on holidays for a week ill check it when i get back and we wiill see how it goes. im not to fussed it'l get there.

mic

Honestly that is the best thing to do. Leave it in the Primary till lit is totally clear rack it in to your mixing bucket then bottle or keg it. Should take between 4-6 weeks.

Honestly that is the best thing to do. Leave it in the Primary till lit is totally clear rack it in to your mixing bucket then bottle or keg it. Should take between 4-6 weeks.

well took the plunge;
Currently have 2 5 Litre Demi's (with 4L of juice) rolling with some S-04. Now to wait.....
1st one: Pure AJ from ALDI
2nd: 50% AJ + 50% Apple and Black Current (wife interested in those Rikordili things). Not sure if this one is going to be any good but meh:

If this works fine, Ill be upscalling and enrolling the two demi jons into "trial" projects.

Stupid Question: Dry pitch the yeast or rehydrate.

The pack said just sprinkle in (without any rehydrating etc). That seems odd to me but went with it (I figure even if only 2% of the total cells survive it will still have the effect!). Needs to find more effeciant way to steralise a full 23Litre fermenter though.

well took the plunge;
Currently have 2 5 Litre Demi's (with 4L of juice) rolling with some S-04. Now to wait.....
1st one: Pure AJ from ALDI
2nd: 50% AJ + 50% Apple and Black Current (wife interested in those Rikordili things). Not sure if this one is going to be any good but meh:

If this works fine, Ill be upscalling and enrolling the two demi jons into "trial" projects.

Stupid Question: Dry pitch the yeast or rehydrate.

The pack said just sprinkle in (without any rehydrating etc). That seems odd to me but went with it (I figure even if only 2% of the total cells survive it will still have the effect!). Needs to find more effeciant way to steralise a full 23Litre fermenter though.

Yeah, just dry pitch the yeast is fine depending on which yeast you are using.

Wash your demijohn with Morning fresh and then starsan it easy as!

Well, 12 hours in, seems to be working.

Bubbling via the locks (slowly but every couple of mins), Yeasties on the top. The temp seems just right ~17-18 degrees (s-04 yeast), though overnight it did drop down a bit inside but blanketted the whole thing up, so dont think it got too bad (Melbourne here)

So all things are going well in my little side project:
The question that is in my mind right now is how long to run it for:
If I run it right out, and let it sit for 2-4 weeks in the primary, is carbonating this possible?
ie, are there any yeasties still functional at this point\reviveable?

I am debating bulk priming with more juice depending on tartness or just using some priming sugar + something to backsweetan.

Looking for some advice regarding that really.

So all things are going well in my little side project:
The question that is in my mind right now is how long to run it for:
If I run it right out, and let it sit for 2-4 weeks in the primary, is carbonating this possible?
ie, are there any yeasties still functional at this point\reviveable?

I am debating bulk priming with more juice depending on tartness or just using some priming sugar + something to backsweetan.

Looking for some advice regarding that really.

You can leave it in the primary for as long as you want usually 4 weeks is enough to get a good clear cider.
There will be still more than enough yeasties in there for bottle carbonation.
You will have to be very careful with back sweetening with juice as you never know how much sugar you are adding back, unless you are trying to make grenades that is.

You can leave it in the primary for as long as you want usually 4 weeks is enough to get a good clear cider.
There will be still more than enough yeasties in there for bottle carbonation.
You will have to be very careful with back sweetening with juice as you never know how much sugar you are adding back, unless you are trying to make grenades that is.
Ya, hence the priming sugar plan. Blowing up some grenades wasnt on the agenda

ok back on original question. its been almost 1 month now and just took an sg reading... still 1.020.
a few things to note tho, it has been very cold at my place and i ont have temp controll i would say that the fermenter has been in a room with the average temp ariound 16 degrees i know this is quite cold but would have thought it would still ferment only fairly slowly.

any thoughts or suggestions on what to do, i did taste the sample i took and it is delicious so not worried about that aspect.

Cheers
mic

16 deg is a perfect fermenting temp, so no worries there. Just leave it sit there till you can see clearly though to the other side of your fermenter and then do what you want with it bottle, keg etc.

ok 16 is good but what about the 1.020 for a month, how can i give ferment a kick in the pants?

yeah made up to 23L.

anyone know any brew calcs that have things like cider concentrate and juice?

There are way to many variables for juice I believe to have a calculator for them. If you find one let us all know. 90% of the juices that you can buy at your supermarkets are 1.048 if that is any help.

Just don't make grenades in the first place :lol:

I made a batch once and every single one either blew up or blew it's cap and shot cider 12' in the air. This was after adding 1/2 a tsp of sugar in an attempt to get some sparkle in the cider.

After that debacle I now tip Coles apple juice, 1kg brown sugar, a cinammon stick and a few cloves into the clean keg. Tip a packet of cider or champagne yeast on top and airlock it (I don't agitate).

Leave it for a minimum of 2 weeks, bottle it and leave for 2-3 months. It turns out very dry, very strong and flat, but usually tastes great (I have simple tastes).

That's essentially how they did in in ye olde times except often they didnt bottle it! Might have to find a nice stainless steel keg with a tap on it as a secondary. Good luck all! ;)

ok 16 is good but what about the 1.020 for a month, how can i give ferment a kick in the pants?

Almost a month late so I hope you got it sorted but if anyone else has this issue, it may be a lack of yeast nutrient, particularly nitrogen (from Proux and from memory).

In days gone by some form of flesh might be added to cider for this reason* but diammonium phosphate should do the trick and is suitable for vegetarians. If still stuck, try racking or some fresh active yeast (eg an apple juice starter).

*I am not recommending chuck steak or cock in your cider.

Almost a month late so I hope you got it sorted but if anyone else has this issue, it may be a lack of yeast nutrient, particularly nitrogen (from Proux and from memory).

In days gone by some form of flesh might be added to cider for this reason* but diammonium phosphate should do the trick and is suitable for vegetarians. If still stuck, try racking or some fresh active yeast (eg an apple juice starter).

*I am not recommending chuck steak or cock in your cider.

Ok thought I would update:

Just bottled 2 Carboys (~10 L)
Which worked well

Quite Nice considering its a ALDI Juice batch :)

Lessons Learnt:
1) Auto Syphon I had was too big to fit into neck of the carboys. Much annoying.
2) Always get MORE tubing. length of tubing I had would have been fine for the auto syphon. but too short without!
3) Used Groslsh bottles. Which are fine. Until you let your wife put the caps on to "help you", and she puts them on backwards (so it can never seal). Removing and resealing == bitch plus

OG: 1.045
FG 1.005
About 5.25% if my maths are right. can complain :)

currently Carbing in the bottles, but have some to drink tonight (ran outta bottles so have a 2L jug to drink tonight :p)

Made my first cider about 2 months ago for my sons 18th, he's not a beer fan and recently discovered he doesnt mind cider.
12.8 litres of assorted supermarket juice, 1 sachet Lalvin ec-1118 Champagne yeast, OG 1043, FG 1000, bulk primed with cloudy apple juice...6.1% ABV in the bottle.
Tasting today the botles are still undercarbed...garage sitting about 13c, need to bring inside for a week or two....very dry but certainly cider.
Son enjoyed sweetened with about 1/3 Fresh Apple Juice...step father who rarely drinks loved it straight from the bottle....
Under $20 for carton and a half of cider...gotta be happy.

Latest posts

Back