AB Inbev buys 4 Pines

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't tried the hop flavoured one

You just need to drink XXXX Gold Shandys for a month to re calibrate you hop perception threshold.

I'm sure I also remember a time when Yak was a half decent beer for a hard earned thirst. Then it wasn't.

Fortunately after a couple of years of trying, I've pretty well nailed the Four Pines Pale Ale. IMHO.

I've diverted my current batch as a test bed for the new LupuLN2 so it's going to be more Citra-ish.

However next move will be to lay on a few bottles of the 4 Pines for comparison and get back to refining my original recipe until it's bang on and hopefully it might aspire to reach the heights of DSGA etc for forum members wanting to give it a whirl.

I bet as some point in the near future their new masters will remove the malt and hops list from the description on their site, and bottles.
Too late suckas..(evil chuckle).

What your pines clone wasn't part of the take over
How dare they
At lest in the future we will know what it tasted like back then with you're clone

Yup that's the idea, that's why I want to stabilise the recipe. However I'm thinking of buying a very large dog for when they send the hitmen.

AFAIK the majority of 4 Pines brews have been contract made for quite some time*, which says that their sales exceeded their capacity. Possibly they went shopping for a capital injection to increase capacity and that turned into a buyout offer.

* I was at a large brewery a while ago looking at QA systems and 4 Pines pale was coming down the line at the time.

Incredible really as i was under the impression their production brewery was one of the largest for nsw, craft beer wise. Maybe they contracted out their bottled products.

Disappointing news otherwise. But who knows, maybe their beers will stay the same, or possibly get better....? Ahhh who am i kidding!

Kudos to them. You know you've made it when the big boys buy you out. There wouldn't be a soul among us that would refuse the payout. Didn't read the links but hopefully the original owners retain some control as their "cellar door" offerings were generally dee-lish-oosh and were the only beers of theirs I'd buy nowadays. Three or four years ago their pale ale was one of the greatest pale ales being produced in the country IMO. I dare say the quality of their beers may now take a hit but I reckon it's been on the cards for awhile now.
Curse the reign of the beer giants but it's good to know that they're feeling the pinch from the little man.

Their original brewhouse was at their pub diagonally opposite Manly Ferry Wharf and I had a good session or three there over the years, then they moved to Brookvale on the North Shore in the commercial Bob Jane T Mart, panelbeaters etc. area there. I'd expect that their draught production is now the major part of that brewery's production. However their bottled pint and six pack offering is widely available around the state and no doubt Australia as a whole, and I can't see the Brookvale operation having enough capacity to satisfy the whole state and national market so clearly they are putting these beers through contract brewing.

Maybe a bit like James Squire that is mostly now produced at Toohey's Lidcombe. I hope the beers don't go down the same track as JS.

I'd be interested to know what brewery LC saw the 4 Pines run going through but of course that would be commercial in confidence. Maybe one could speculate that it could be near a famous pie joint, perhaps.

I remember first popping in for a pint in the Manly brew pub about 8 years back, and being relatively local have always enjoyed their Keller door brews. I'm only about a 5 min drive from the brookvale brewery now and try and get in at least once a fortnight for a pint and a growler fill. Look forward to continuing that for a long time to come.

Oh and their stout on nitro is damn good.

The interesting thing is that the IBA will never meet its growth targets as each medium sized 'craft/indie' brewery gets snapped up and no longer counts.

Back