Aabc Style Categories - English Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay Cee

Reaction score
I'm planning to enter a few beers into my state's competition this year, and have a question regarding style guidelines. While I have entered comps before, the styles entered have been obvious. This year I hope to enter an English bitter/pale/whatever, a style of which I have limited experience in either brewing or drinking. In the past, its been porters, stouts, American IPA's, blondes etc.

It appears that the recipe for my English brew is almost identical to your forums favourite brew, the Timothy Taylor Landlord, but I will be using a Scottish Ale yeast capable of lower temp ranges down to 13. Looking at the AABC 2012 guidelines, which style category might such a beer be presented? Note that this is NOT a landlord clone, as the yeast strain is a defining factor. I will be using Wyeast 1728 at around 16 degrees

http://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_yeaststrain_detail.cfm?ID=143

My brew stats are:

4.6% ABV, 10SRM, 35IBU

The following categories are what I'm considering, as the beer falls within all of the vital statistics:

6.6 English Pale Ale
8.2 English Best Bitter

Which category is most appropriate?

For those unfamiliar with the Landlord ingredients, it's as follows:

88% Maris Otter
10% Munich
2% Chocolate
0.6 g/l Magnum @ 60
1.9 g/l EKG @ 20
1.3 g/l Styrian Goldings @ dry hop

If they are separate styles in the same category, put one in both sub cats unless you have another one you really want to enter (standard limit is 2 per category, 1 per style) If they are separate categories, put one in each.

Not sure exactly how your state comp is laid out but if entering Vicbrew, that's what I would do.

Good point. I won't be submitting anything else in category 6 or 8, so I shall enter the aforementioned beer into both. Thanks for the reply.

While we're on the subject, is there any word on the NSW 2012 comp? My brewshop hasn't heard anything, and the AABC website has a link that goes to a dead page on Hunter Brewers - who were last year's host.

Latest posts

Back