Aaba 2004 Entries

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks for the info peter.much appreciated

cheers
big d

Has anyone received their score sheets from the Nationals yet ?
Thought they would have been here last week or early this week. <_<

Beers,
Doc

Doc said:
Has anyone received their score sheets from the Nationals yet ?
Thought they would have been here last week or early this week. <_<

Beers,
Doc
Haven't seen mine Doc!
Can't wait to see if my Weizenbock was really judged as a weizen :(

I think it took quite a while for 'Trash Mash Al' to get anything back from AABA last year (about a month or two). There's allot of work that goes into the recipe book that is sent to you at the same time...

Asher for now

Asher said:
There's allot of work that goes into the recipe book that is sent to you at the same time...
Last year I got the judging sheets and certificates in about 1-2 weeks.
The recipe booklets showed up around June-July this year.

Hopefully we see something before Xmas.

Doc

My Certificate and judging sheets arrived a couple of days ago.

The judging sheets made for interesting reading. Two judges said great aroma and complimentary taste from the bourbon. The third judge said he couldn't detect the bourbon at all. mmmmmmmmmmmm <_<

Doc

i got mine yesterday. very excitied to get the results. i knew the hop aroma was lacking and that kept the score down.

oh well, there is always next year. as for the certificate, will be showing that off to anyone i can corner :)

Also received mine.
My weizenbock was judged as a weizen.
Judges comments: Bit too thick for style! :( We liked it though!

I got my judging sheets and certificate this week, too. The judges are very inconsistent. For my Octoberfest, one judge says too bitter, the other says too sweet and the third says just right. Another sheet (for my weizen) said nothing in any of the comments sections, and only had scores, not even ticking the faults section and the right at the end it says "this beer is nice", or something banal like that. What a useless comment. Why bother judging if you're not going to give useful feedback?

- Snow.

Snow - that is disappointing.

Unfortunately some judges are very slack in their feedback and organisers are reluctant to give them "constructive criticism" because they are volunteers.

On the other hand if you don't make your feelings known to the organisers then things will never change.

I will pass on your comments to Vicbrew, they don't organise the nats but some of the guys there are involved in judging and they are responsible for the Victorian state comp.

I will also make sure the convener of Beerfest 2005 is made aware of this and I might try to organise some "guidelines" for standards of feedback.

Your comments are representative of a wider group of people.

The good news is that some judges provide excellent feedback. As for the sweet vs bitter, sometimes you can put that down to individual tastes, that is why 3 judges evaluate each beer.

Back