Aaarghh Help!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lillywhite

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I think I have my first ever infection, I am a little confused though. The Wort is in Secondary at 18 degrees and I was planning on bottling Saturday, I had a look in the fermenter fridge this afternoon when I got home from work and noticed some white clumps of what appears to be bubbles and there also seems to be a film of something on top, I lifted the glad wrap and took a smell, can't describe the smell as it wasn't very strong but I had a burning sensation in my nostrils when I took it in, sulphur?

I have taken a sample from the tap and there is no off smell and the wort doesn't taste bad and is very clear.

Check out the photos and tell me what you think.

Can I salvage?

Should I scim the top and crash chill or just crash chill and be careful not to bottle anything of the top? or should I just tip it out........

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Wort1.jpg

Wort2.jpg

Hydrometer.jpg

Burning in the nose happens when you breathe in the co2, it's normal. Just don't go doing it too much or you might fall in. :D

Talk to Wombil he had one exactly the same if not worse and reckons it was the best beer he's made!

Ok, heart beat settling down, panic button releasing.....

If the sample taste ok, and it finished, I would bottle that be'arch ASAP... if you have enough bottles to spare....

Store them wisely, taste in 2-4 weeks - if its infected you will know, tip it!

If its all good.... well, its all good..

2c.

If the sample taste ok, and it finished, I would bottle that be'arch ASAP... if you have enough bottles to spare....

Store them wisely, taste in 2 weeks - if its infected you will know, tip it!

If its all good.... well, its all good..

2c.

**** off Cock...........Your giving the bloke poor advice so yu can later porkspin him.

sorry, no help here but the top pic does look similar to my toilet.

Hard to tell exactly from the photo but to me it looks like clumps of floculating yeast and the burning nostrils thing is common. CO2 and other volatile compounds get driven off during fermentation. Lid off and a big whiff can often make inexperienced brewers think they have infections. If you get that burning sensation from your hydrometer sample though, you may have cause to worry - whole beer not so much.

Infections are like neo nazi bands - rarely trying to pretend they are anything else. Both also ruin good things and are ugly and usually shithouse.

Thanks guys, hit the panic button as it is a beer for my brothers wedding, should have known about the Co2 thing but don't generally sniff my beers during fermentation, if I sat down and thought about it instead of panicking and running for help I may have worked it out just never experienced floaties outside of dry hopping that was my main concern.

It has been in secondary for about 7 days now so wasn't expecting any further activity. The sample taste and smells fine so will keep an eye on it, can't bottle until Saturday.

Cheers,

Sean

It looks fine to me, I have had something look the same to a couple of brews. If it looks like spit bubbles it probably isnt infection, I always thought it was c02 coming to the surface because of the transfer. I tipped 5l of stout that I later regretted that looked similar. The next time it happened I ignored and all was good, both were in secondary fermenters.

been flat out on rate my cameltoe, i'll get my shit together and upload it now.

Can you upload an image of your favourite and just park it slightly south of your avatar?

Should be able to fill in the blanks myself.

Mate, I am trying to help a fellow brewer out here and you are making some random assumption....

Click here: PORKSPIN.COM

ya c&nt ;)

If my airlock has stopped bubbling can I bottle my beer?

If my airlock has stopped bubbling can I bottle my beer?

You should take SG readings over 3 days and if they are the same then yes, you should feel free to bottle...

BTW: I am surprised you are asking such questions Rowy, I thought you were a little past this simple stuff...

But, whatever, Happy to help...

You should take SG readings over 3 days and if they are the same then yes, you should feel free to bottle...

BTW: I am surprised you are asking such questions Rowy, I thought you were a little past this simple stuff...

But, whatever, Happy to help...

Cocko I appreciate your concern. It cannot be easy with the court case pending and the overwhelming video evidence. Justice will win out though if you continue with your saying that the rabbit was continually jumping back onto your penis and you were not grabbing it by the throat and thrusting.........well I think you may lose..............well who am I to judge.........best of luck friend and remember it's better to duck a dunny than **** a bunny :)

Back