Aaargh Broken Fridge

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc

Doctor's Orders Brewing
Reaction score
Looks like it wasn't my thermostat that went and gave me frozen kegs.

I thawed them out and put them back in the fridge and turned back the thermostat.

Now however the fridge will not get below about 10 degC.

Here is a photo of the top of the fridge with the coolant grill thingy.

Looks like the coolant is getting all the way through the grill.

What is likely to be the problem? Easy to fix or do I need a fridgey ?

TIA,
Doc

BrokenFridge_002.jpg

I can see straight off that you've lost at least a third of the refrigerant.

Its only supplying part of the evaporator (cooling coil) and the compressor has pulled the pressure so low that it's made the supplied part of the coil so cold that it's iced up. Ice does not let heat through to the cooling coil either so it won't cool efficiently.

A quick top up and leak repair will sort it out.

Fantastic Timmy,

That is why I love this list ..... always someone to help.

I notice you are listed as West Ryde.
Do you have any contacts for a good fridgey to come and fix my beloved keg fridge ? I'm in Cherrybrook (near Castle Hill).

Beers,
Doc

Cherrybrook isn't too far away, I travelled all the way to Glen Alpine to fix Linz's display fridge.

BTW he hasn't complained to me yet about it breaking down again so I must have done something right ;)

Give me a yell and a few details on the fridge type (type of gas especially) and I can help you out.

Timmy,

It is a Westinghouse Freezamate 381 single door fridge only. No freezer compartment.
As for the gas type, I have no idea.
Checked on the back of it and on the black cylinder it has T520NA

Does that help ?

Doc

i have had the same problem.
what i did was turn the fridge off and let the pressure build up this makes it easy to find the tiny tiny hole you proberly have.
To fix it all i did was sand it back and stick a whole heap of araldite on top of the hole.
This is a tempory easy quick fix and not really great but it works for awhile.
I have a fridgey brother which makes topping up coolant free and easy.

anyway looks like timmy has it all under control for you Doc.

ALL HAIL THE WONDERFUL AND MASTERFUL "TIMMY". FIXER OF FRIDGES AND PANIC ATTACKS.

Seriously, the fridge is going like a trooper. Full as a boot(100 odd bottles)and all chilled to 4oC in under 12 hours.

TIMMY you are a legend

thanks again ...just in case you haven't caught on yet :D :p :lol:

Thanks Linz!!!!!

Glad to hear it's going well, she looks like a bullet proof old girl! (the fridge of course)

Glad to be of service B)

Big thanks to Timmy.

He came and fixed my baby today.
The old girl is now cooling three kegs back down to serving temp.

Thanks again Tim.

Beers,
Doc

No worries Doc! ;)

Makes it a lot easier when I don't bring an empty gas cylinder! :huh:

Once again, glad to be of service to fellow brewers. I know what it's like to be down on a keg fridge especially in these hot summer months.

Cheers,

Timmy

timmy ,
Do you do calls to the Pilbara? :D

Hmmmmmmmm Pilbara......

May be a little bit far out, I drive a V8 so fuel may be a bit of a problem!!

Argh! i need a fridgey... unfortunately im in canberra :(

I dont mind paying a bit of cash, but so far all the buggers ive talked to want $250.. might as well get a newbie...

timmy, any plans to head to canberra for a weekend?

(hmmm if i can put the kitchen fridge in the garage, and get it fixed later.. i can continue building by fridge emporium :) )

My main (food) fridge has done the exact same thing as yours Doc.

I just called up for a quote for repairs, first guy claims it'll cost about $300!!

Sad to hear that Kook.
Could have been worse though. Could have been your beer/keg fridge :p

Anyone a fridgy in Perth, or know of one to help Kook out ?

Beers,
Doc

sigh... i have two fridges in my garage with the same afliction, out of the 3 people i called only one seemed even vaguely interested in fixing it and that was for more than $250...

i dont mind paying to get my fridge fixed.. but its not worth $250 to me..

now if someone could fix my bigger fridge, and replace ther thermostat so i can use it as a fermentation cupboard, i would be hella-happy..

i dont know if i would do this but have you thought about piggy backing your fridges.
get one good fridge and one buggered fridge cut a hole between the two of them and silastic or whatever them together and you now have doubled your fridge space utilizing one fridge.
cant remember where i saw this but reckon its a great idea.
especially if you want to lager and havent a huge fridge space.

gsrman you could try and triple your space if you venture down this path with two dud fridges.

cheers
big d

I wouldn't even try Big D

I like to see people using their enginuity to come up with great ideas that will aid many brewers. However this does not quilify as a great idea. I am sorry.

Mainly the refrigeration system is designed for a certain size. For example a small fridge has a small compressor a large fridge has a large compressor.

Doubling the size of the fridge is doubling the load on the compressor.

I would put money on the fact of it not working (well maybe in the snow).

The doubt that the compressor would ever pull the fridge down to even 10 deg therefore the compressor not stopping.

And that is with the fridge empty and the dsoors never being opened. Therefore being completely useless.

Randy

I have been thinking bout something similar but guessed that would be the outcome. What do you think about a chest freezer as keg fridge, but having temperature controlled fan forced air from the freezer to a fermenting fridge?

Got to love luck!

I was about to sacrafice the fermentation fridge to become our food fridge today. Someone from across the road came over looking to borrow a vacuum cleaner as they were moving out. Noticed they had a fridge out the front and asked them about it. It works fine but they wanted to get rid of it as they were going out bush! They were going to give it to the salvos but said we could take it instead :)

Back