Aaaargh...possible disaster

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wbosher

Reaction score
Just put on another brew, everything went perfectly except one thing. Just as I was syphoning the wort into the fermenter, my wife came home with my 2yo son. He came into the garage to see what daddy was doing, as he's done plenty of times before.

This time however he grabbed the syphon hose, pulled it out of the fermenter and it dropped on the garage floor. It got some dust and sawdust on it, not a lot because the garage is pretty clean, but there was a little bit. He realised his mistake and dumped the hose, dust and all, back into the fermenter.

I carried on in the hope that everything will be ok, pitched the yeast and sealed her up. Fingers crossed...

What type of beer? Maybe sawdust will add a nice woody flavour?

Sorry no idea, if it will actually kill the beer. But it might help

Woody flavour I can deal with...infection I cannot.

Im not gonna lie, the other day while doing the exact same thing, i was leaning over having a squizz and believe it or not a dollop of saliva came out from the bottom of my mouth and fell straight into the fermenter, I just grabbed paper towel and dunked it in on top of it with a scooping action to attempt to get it out............11 days in and she tastes brilliant. Don't think anyone else is going to want to drink it though :huh: unless I don't tell them of course.... :ph34r:
Anyway saliva is different to floor scraps but even still saliva would probably carry more nasties than floor scraps, let me know how you go but I have a feeling you'll be just fine.
All the best and dont forget to keep your mouth closed while over a fermenter.
Cheers

If your yeast is healthy and you've pitched an appropriate amount then there is a good change the yeast will become the dominant organism in the wort and you may well be ok. Give it a few days, draw off a sample and have taste.

Yeah, I'm hoping the yeast will kick arse. :)

Eddy, I had a similar thing (probably worse) on my very first brew. I was leaning over the fermenter stirring, and something fell out of my nose as I was exhaling. I never told anybody about that. :lol: Beer turned out great.

eddy22 said:
Im not gonna lie, the other day while doing the exact same thing, i was leaning over having a squizz and believe it or not a dollop of saliva came out from the bottom of my mouth and fell straight into the fermenter, I just grabbed paper towel and dunked it in on top of it with a scooping action to attempt to get it out............11 days in and she tastes brilliant. Don't think anyone else is going to want to drink it though :huh: unless I don't tell them of course.... :ph34r:
Anyway saliva is different to floor scraps but even still saliva would probably carry more nasties than floor scraps, let me know how you go but I have a feeling you'll be just fine.
Cheers
Sounds like you just made Chicha!

eddy22 said:
Cheers

I remember a while back ekul spat in his wort to see what happened. ******* didn't tell me about it till my second glass...

Kev, better in the wort rather than in the keg... or your glass :)

I wouldn't stress wbosher I have dropped all sorts of things in my fermenter early on in my homebrewing escapades, basically being an unco newb.
No infections, but these days my beers made with a more sanitary and careful approach seem to be lacking that unique flavour of the earlier batches :lol:
Could be the best beer you ever make, and if it is you may have try and remember exactly what your kid did!

They floor malt grain, no reason why you can't floor ferment.
See how it goes.

Cheers,
D80

Nah she's right.

I've had a drop of blood in a ginger beer. All good.

I've just finished putting the glad wrap over the wort after pitching and my 3 yr old at the time asked if the fly in there was going to like its drink. Had a look in, could see it, tried fishing it out and lost it in the foam. Still Turned out ok.

treefiddy said:
I've had a drop of blood in a ginger beer. All good.
Blood should be sterile (depending on where it comes from), so in theory you could drop a pint in there and it wouldn't infect your beer. Might not give you the same flavour and aroma as dry hopping with amarillo though.

treefiddy said:
But still... blood.
You must have been doing some extreme brewing to get blood into your fermenter.

Lol @ drooling into your fermenter, very Homer Simpson like behaviour. Best bib up in future? :D

OP...no worries about such a small thing
Of the multitude of great things about fermentation ( from ale to sauerkraut and beyond) is that its pretty difficult to fck up.
The critical thing about beer or wine fermentation is control, you cannot control every thing (though mega breweries do as close a job as is humanly possible).
Poor yeast management will do far more harm than a bit of sawdust (or blood or spit or pigeon shit)

K

Back