A Wild Ferment

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Have your say

• Go for it!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Taste but don't swallow.

• It's probably poison.

• Total voters

C-MOR

Reaction score
Using some recovered wort I've performed my first wild ferment. The yeast was introduced via a handful of blackberries from a bush up the road, smashed up and added to the flask. the temp has gone up and down for 3 weeks and think its about done (there was quite a krausen at one stage). I plan to bottle 1 stubby. The smell is quite inviting but the mould spots have me spooked.
WHAT SHOULD I DO?

gallery_15997_794_64654.jpg

gallery_15997_794_157375.jpg

Using some recovered wort I've performed my first wild ferment. The yeast was introduced via a handful of blackberries from a bush up the road, smashed up and added to the flask. the temp has gone up and down for 3 weeks and think its about done (there was quite a krausen at one stage). I plan to bottle 1 stubby. The smell is quite inviting but the mould spots have me spooked.
WHAT SHOULD I DO?

gallery_15997_794_64654.jpg

gallery_15997_794_157375.jpg
Boil it before you drink it ?

ed; I should learn to read.

I say go for it.

Mould and spores are a bad thing, I would avoid as such. If you can get some of the beer from underneath then you could sample with caution.

Die? Yes.

Because of what's in the photo? More than likely.

:icon_vomit:

I did a very similar thing recently with an irish stout. Pulled 600ml at the end of the mash (before the boil) and added a handful of crushed grain to it. Let it ferment for 4-5 days. I covered it loosely with tinfoil and it fermented rather well with the wild yeasts, but did not develop any mould etc on the top like yours has. I then strained the grain out and boiled it on the stove for about 15mins to kill all the nasty. Cooled, and then added into the main fermentation. I had a sneaky taste out of the fermentor and so far it is showing great promise!

I did a very similar thing recently with an irish stout. Pulled 600ml at the end of the mash (before the boil) and added a handful of crushed grain to it. Let it ferment for 4-5 days. I covered it loosely with tinfoil and it fermented rather well with the wild yeasts, but did not develop any mould etc on the top like yours has. I then strained the grain out and boiled it on the stove for about 15mins to kill all the nasty. Cooled, and then added into the main fermentation. I had a sneaky taste out of the fermentor and so far it is showing great promise!
looks like penicillin to me. Go get yourself the jack and see if it clears up.

What happened in the end C-MOR?

Were you brave?? :icon_vomit:

I'm gonna guess he tried it, and didn't survive, hence why he hasn't posted since.

Back