A Special Squire

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikem108

Reaction score
From the MSB web site
"James Squires award for the premium hop harvest was a magnificent cow from the government herd presented to him by Governor of NSW, Governor King. This was a proud moment for the rehabilitated and re-energised convict who had turned to brewing in 1794. In order to celebrate this bicentennial of quality hops harvest, the Malt Shovel brewers have created an anniversary brew, "Squires Hop Celebrator Ale". The Sydney and Melbourne James Squire Brewhouses will both brew 800 litres, and the beer will be on tap only at those outlets from 20th April 2005."

Pity it won't be ready for the crawl but gives another excuse to make the trip down to Darling Harbour

Pity they don't bottle some. I guess this high-gravity beer!

Judging by the name "Celebrator" it'll be a doppelbock... but then again, it's also an Ale :unsure: In any case, I'm curious.

Bugger we need the js brew houses in adelaide too

No we don't, Jaz. Just the micros in Adelaide to do a damn site better job of what they are currently on about. And more of them.
Don't forget that Squires is just a megaswill wolf in micro sheeps clothing...

Cheers

Agreed. I'm not particularly a fan of most of the JS beers.

I remember Cascade did a First Harvest ale a few years ago that was nice and hoppy, but that was a few years age when I had a lot less beer under my belt.

Actually Kai, I dont mind the JS, its a big step up from any megaswill full of POR, but what we need is the city micros that currently exist doing a better job, or new micros in the city, NOT run by some JS mob from interstate.
Adelaide should be able to do it. After all we (collectively) all helped to keep Coopers alive back in the bad days when all there was on offer across the entire country was 'Aussie Lager'.
Garbled, but I hope you get what I'm rambling on about.
Cheers

Yeah, I did understand your point and agree with it... I was just taking it one step further to say that I also don't particularly like their beers :)

Bring on the micros!

I have 2 brief points:

1/ JS may have it (the new bock) available, unofficially.
Doesn't hurt to ask I say. it may be a bit strong for the pub crawl concept, though.

2/ Does anyone remember the Boags 1881 Ale special release?

Seth out :p

PS I have an email from Backlane that sez he has given up brewing. Can it be a cruel joke?

Wiez, its not a joke mate. He bought a demijohn on ebay from me. Havn't heard from him about it, my theory is that he's missus want him to give up the brewing. Not a decision I would like to be making.
Thanks for the tip about the js bock, i'll drop by there tomorrow lunch and try my luck.

I don't think the hop celbrator is a Bok, I had it last night and it tasted like some of my own brews.
A pale ale with a load of Tasmanian Hallertau is how I'd describe it.

Had to have the Speculator too.

mikem108 said:
I don't think the hop celbrator is a Bok, I had it last night and it tasted like some of my own brews.
[post="55857"][/post]​

But was it any good ? :D :p :D
Going down to try it tonight.
Pity it's another PA.
I was hoping for something a bit out of the ordinary. (What was I thinking) :p

Sure it was good but then again I like a good blast of hops!
Definately would've had a second but SWMBO was getting impatient!

Shame about the "-ators". Normally, this would be a bock's name.

The Speculator was tasted by a few of us (maybe all?) on the pub crawl last week.
Very hoppy. quite bitter and a little chalky in the aftertaste (on my palate). Still quite OK tho, and much, much better than megaswill.

Seth's 2 cents :p

Weizguy said:
The Speculator was tasted by a few of us (maybe all?) on the pub crawl last week.
Very hoppy. quite bitter and a little chalky in the aftertaste (on my palate). Still quite OK tho, and much, much better than megaswill.
[post="55901"][/post]​

I really enjoyed it. I need to go back with a fresh and clean pallette to give it another try though.
In the Good Living section of the SMH herald today in the Brew section (not online yet) it mentions that it is made with Tasmanian grown hallertau and williamette hops.

Beers,
Doc

I tried the Celebrator on Friday & really enjoyed it. Loads of hops & what seemed like a hint of caramel in the aftertaste (had to have a second one to make sure :D ). Interestingly it was cloudy. Was yours like that Doc?

RobW said:
Interestingly it was cloudy. Was yours like that Doc?
[post="56281"][/post]​

I was the fourth pub on the AHB Sydney Pubcrawl and if my memory serves, yes it was cloudy.
All the super hoppy beers I've brewed have been cloudy also.

Doc

Darren said:
What was the alcohol content?
[post="56287"][/post]​

Not sure, but it didn't seem to have an obvious alcohol hit so I guess somewhere in the usual range.

Back