A Selfless Act

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vlad the Pale Aler

Cereal Killer
Reaction score
After the recent Perth storms, we were without power for 2 days, when it came back on the main fridge in the house took a power spike or surge and is now awaiting repair.
So as the minister for war and finance looks forlornly at the food about to go off, I made a huge sacrifice.
Yes, I donated half the space in one of my 3 beer fridges. It was a big call but in the wake of natural disaster we have to make these sort of decisions.
It better be fixed by the weekend or else.

a truely selflesss act - makes one proud to be a ........ brewer

Brings a tear to my eye. You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.

Surely beer alone could sustain you until the repair? vitamin B, fibre, carbs....

That sort of gentlemanship only makes me emotionally erect.

I'm raising a glass of my All Amarillo APA 2 ya. A fitting tribute, I hope.

...but we already knew ya woz "tha goodz"!

Peace out

Seth :beerbang:

Vlad the Pale Aler said:
After the recent Perth storms, we were without power for 2 days, when it came back on the main fridge in the house took a power spike or surge and is now awaiting repair.
So as the minister for war and finance looks forlornly at the food about to go off, I made a huge sacrifice.
Yes, I donated half the space in one of my 3 beer fridges. It was a big call but in the wake of natural disaster we have to make these sort of decisions.
It better be fixed by the weekend or else.
[post="59577"][/post]​

you did WHAT.....o my god......

Well done Vlad...

...just so long as you bring along COLD beer on Saturday!

You are a good man. But be careful. Give them an inch and they'll take a yard.
A phrase we use a lot (having kids) is "Once only" :lol:

Do all the brewing fridges have surge control adaptors on them, that protected those ones ? Maybe time to buy one for the food fridge too :p

Beers,
Doc

Two days without power? That means warm beer, no tv, no internet and the kids going spare because they cannot watch tv,play computer games or listen to the stereo.

Your house fridge may have taken a brown out rather than a surge. When the power is off for a while, all the fridge thermostats are in switched on mode as well as all the other appliances that are switched on, the power comes on, there is a huge demand for current which the power station cannot keep up with and the supplied voltage dips well down. Many appliances do not like running off the lower voltage and "the smoke gets out."

A good strategy if you are home and there is a blackout, switch everything off at the point. When the power does come back on, wait a few minutes (10 minutes extra is not going to bother the fridge) for the power to stabilize, you can see this happening by watching an incandescent bulb for fluctuations in light output, then start switching appliances back on. Double check everything is switched back on and running. Especially after a lengthy blackout where extensive services have been disrupted.

To quote the Rolling Stones,

"Change has come. She's under my thumb"

Feed them beer! :lol:

Warren -

My wife has started storing the dog food in my yeast storage fridge :( . The thin edge of the wedge, methinks <_< .

Cheers - Snow.

Back