A Salutary Story

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr K

Reaction score
I have a number of pet hates, indeed I have a whole whale of them and when they beach the vibes are not so good.
Top of the spume though is " I never get an infection" or "I have not had an infection since 1995" or "Oh no, its not an infection leave it a month and it will pass".
15 days ago I brewed a fairly ordinary FCA (low 40's), I had three fermentors for three kegs, pitched the same yeast into each and fermented hand in hand in a temperature controlled chesty bond at 18C for 5 days, all beers were identically fined and chilled to -1C for 4 days and finally kegged last wed/Thursday via a 5 micron filter.
The beer was drinkable but crap, it attenuated too much resulting in a beer that was an image of its maker, unbalanced. OK it was not crap, and a whole heap of people who tried it over a number of days, from local brewers (none of whom asked for the recipe though), to a well (beer) educated group at my work thought it fine, and indeed, apart from what I judged as imbalance and too bitter against the malt profile, well I liked it!
Tonight I poured from the third keg, it actually at first swig, tasted somewhat more rounded, even more balanced, still an inappropriate bitterness in the end, more fool me, I should have twigged diacetyl then and there, but then again I was drinking not judging, as the beer warmed, it is now sitting at 15C and warming, the diacetyl character steps right to the front.
This leaves me with no option but to say that the beer is infected, most likely with peddiococcus and will over the next short period of time move from buttery to yoghurty.

Kurtz

Sounds like you better get drinking quick smart!

- Need help?

Cheers

Mick

Latest posts

Back