A question about a Coopers Dark Ale recipe....

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kalthor

Reaction score
Hey,

I'm about to make my 3rd brew with a Coopers Dark Ale Kit that I got the other day from BigW. I've read a few different recipes on this site and decided to try and steeping some grains for the first time. After a visit and consultation with the LHBS guy, I have the following ingredients at my disposal:

1.7kg Coopers Dark Ale
1.0kg Dark Liquid Malt Extract
500g Dark Crystal (smallest bag they sell)
15g Cascade Hops (in hop bag)
Safale US 05 yeast

Now, as I haven't used grain before, how much should I use and is there anything else that I should add/replace from the above ingredients?

Cheers!

Is the grain cracked?

I'd use half that crystal pack and another 10g or so of cascade to dry hop.

manticle said:
Is the grain cracked?
Yes, the grain is already cracked.

Also, I ran the ingredients on the "KIT & EXTRACT BEER DESIGNER" excel sheet which showed OG and FG as:

OG: 1.038
FG: 1.010

This gives me around 4.1 per bottle....

If I want to increase this to the high 4s or low 5% would it be better to add an extra ingredient (dextrose or LDME) or just making less than 23L?

Or add another tin of Pale Liquid Malt Extract.

Quick update on this brew....

I followed the above recipe with 300g dark crystal and also ended up dry hopping with some extra cascade.

OG: 1.042
FG: 1.009

It's been bottled for 2 weeks now and while I know that I should leave it for a while longer, I just had to have a quick try..... and it's quite a tasty drop. It's a nice mix between an Dark Ale and a Stout.

I'll definitely try this one again, maybe alter it somehow to see what difference that would make!

Great tips and suggestions on this site = Tasty Brew!

darkale.jpg

Looks like a good beer mate, great head. I made an Amber Ale last month with Cascade and it was a great balance between malt & citrus.

I'm going to brew a Coopers SMOTY toucan this month;

Pale Ale tin
Dark Ale tin
EK Goldings.

Can't wait. Enjoy!

Latest posts

Back