A predicament. What to do? 1 brew split in 2 then combined?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danscraftbeer

Reaction score
I brewed 40lt German Ale and no chilled in two 20lt cubes. The whole plan to pitch next weekend in the 50lt kegmenter when its free.
This morning found 1 lid split. I am stepping up the yeast and its in high krausen so I set up the 23lt keg to pitch half the starter and ferment that half now. Problem is different amounts of hop matter in the two cubes one will be more bitter than the other, maybe a lot, or one will be under bittered.

Question: Can I ferment this half then next weekend transfer it into the 50lt kegmenter and add the other half? To blend the two halves so its the way it was meant to be rather than 2 separate brews that will probably have stuffed up balance?

If so should I add more o2 to the second half? Considering the first half will be brewed out already?

I'm also thinking the yeast will have stepped up enough in the first half to take care of the second half?

Careful planning out the window on this one darn it...

any advice welcome...

Or my other thought is now the first half is pitched I want to chill whats in the 50lt kegmenter so I can transfer and free it up.
Only one ferment fridge should I just chill the new brew now that its inoculated and slow down/suspend the ferment?

You can start the ferment and add the remaining wort (aerated) later - look up drauflassen

Thanks manticle. Ha, to think I was having a stab in the dark and its actually a technique with a German name. How appropriate.
This now gives me idea for future brews.

So. I think my next step is to consider transferring the 50lt kegmenter finished brew into serving kegs now at 18c. I've always done it chilled but its a forced issue now. I need it free to put this new brew into it. Its fully carbonated so I hope transferring under pressure at 18c is OK.

Cheers.

I just got showered in Krauesen. One thing leads to another and you get the perfect storm! Freed up the 50lt kegmenter. No problems there.

Removed the 23lt keg with the pre pitched half. I had a blow off tube and it was bubbling slow but constant so I took that as being medium pace ferment at 16c and not much pressure. Only there is so much hop matter in this because I used pellets only, or some reason I havnt experienced before they must be floaty :unsure: .
All posts and the pressure release valve were blocked! It wouldn't transfer under co2 pressure so when I unscrewed the out post it nearly speared me in the head. Holly shit! there is a whole lotta pressure in there. Covered the floor, a few chux towels over the gas post and unscrew it and point the jet it into the bigger kegmenter.

That's how you get showered in Krauesen. So when all depressurized rip out the lid and just tip the fucker into the bigger kegmenter with the new wort with a big frothing mushroom spilling over to have fun cleaning up.

But I got in in there!!!!!!!!!! only lost about 2lt, maybe 3. Should have taken photo's sorry but too overwhelmed..

Latest posts

Back