A pot with no holes?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aamcle

Reaction score
I'm considering setting up a small full volume BIAB system using a 25litre Stock Pot with recirculation I'm comfortable with BIAB as I had a bigger BIAB some years ago.
I'd really really like to avoid cutting holes in the pot, I can do it I have the cutters, but I don't want to and I'll use a hotplate for heating so that's one hole less.

Is there any way of avoiding cutting the pot possibly a self priming pump?

If I hook a tube over the side of the pot with the pump lower than the pot and suck some liquid into/through tube and pump at the beginning of the brew would it hold its prime through the boil and through out the mash?

Atb. Aamcle

Thanks All. Aamcle

Hangover68

Easily but the hole is what I want to avoid.

The more I think about it the less likely it seems that it will work :( :( so I'll be doing as you suggested, I'll need to find my Q Cutter.

Atb. Aamcle

You could try tipping the mash into another container through a strainer (then sparge and dump the grain out, then return the wort to the original pot for the boil).

Bit like this but on a smaller scale:

There was a brief thread on tun tipping a few years ago here:

Mash Tun Tipper

It’s easy, just like syphoning. The point is that the tube needs to be full of liquid. Not hard to do if you either pre-fill it with water and keep the outlet up as high as the top of the liquid, or just suck on the outlet, like nicking petrol.
In both cases you don’t want a mouthful.
No problem with hygiene for the mash, but if you are going to stick the hose in your mouth at the end of the boil, get it full of wort, then put the end of the hose in the hot wort to sterilise it.
Might be a good idea to practice on some tap water, save burns and other stuffups that you want to avoid.
Mark

There are inexpensive self-priming high temp wort diaphragm pumps available but I would build a tipping mech. for the pot 'cause I like building stuff and don't like cleaning lines.

That wouldnt be a lot of help to the OP who wants to recirculate a full volume BIAB mash. The pump might be a good option, got a link?
Mark

Pesky science. Self priming hot worter (ha ha) reduces pressure and turns the liquid to steam which defeats the self prime. i.e. you can only self prime under 60° <guessing a bit here>.

Hum
Vapour pressure of water at 80oC is around 355 tor or just short of half an atmosphere, from P=Ro*g*h water at 80oc has a density (Ro) of 0.997 kg/L. Solving for h, 47kPa/(0.997*9.81) = 4.8 meters
That’s how far you could suck water at 80oC up a pipe before it vaporises, so no problem syphoning up and over a 500mm high pot.
You would want to be careful in your choice of pumps; any "hot water pump" should be OK, a positive displacement pump like a diaphragm pump would be better.
Mark

There are inexpensive self-priming high temp wort diaphragm pumps available but I would build a tipping mech. for the pot 'cause I like building stuff and don't like cleaning lines.
I'm after a high temp self priming pump for a Hermes system. I can't find an inexpensive one. Have you got a link to one??
The link from @TowelBoy2013 does not specify at temp rating, so most likely not >60deg C rated

Just had a quick look on eBay and found this one 12V 6L/m, says temp 0-100. Looks like it would be worth a bit of a look at. A gear pump would probably be better at chunky bits and a Procon pump might work to, one with a speed control would be a good idea as they can build up a lot of pressure.
Mark

I havent seen one, if you do get it, please let people know how it works out.
Probably be a few people interested.
Mark

I'm after a high temp self priming pump for a Hermes system. I can't find an inexpensive one. Have you got a link to one??
The link from @TowelBoy2013 does not specify at temp rating, so most likely not >60deg C rated
Our pump have certified to CE, stable and durable, smooth self priming with silent operation and can run dry without damage, thermal overload and ignition protection( temperatures above 70℃/ 158℉ temporarily stop working ), recommend to turn off the power and wait for the temperature to drop before come into service again. Tip: To avoid leakage to the pump rotor in case of some product failure, the correct operation is to put the pump head down or flat during when installation

Back