A Plea From Murray's

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mmmm, does Snowy Mountains really qualify as a micro??? B) Independant perhaps..........

If you substituted "Little Creatures" for "Snowy Mountains" then there is a basis for a debate. I reckon Snowy Mountains is right smack in the middle of micro territory.

If you substituted "Little Creatures" for "Snowy Mountains" then there is a basis for a debate. I reckon Snowy Mountains is right smack in the middle of micro territory.
Don't you have to be a brewery to count as a microbrewery? ;)

Did my part and had a "couple" of schooners of Murray's Sassy Belgian Blonde today. Went there at lunchtime with Rukh and enjoyed the pints and plenty of beer talk. While we were there, another Sassy blonde, Sophie Monk passed thru the bar to use the ATM!

Not a bad beer, definitely an easy drinking Belgian Style ale, I guess brewed to be accessible to the masses, rather than brewed to appeal to the true fan of Belgian beer. Tasty, would buy it again if it was in a bar closer to home or work :)

Anyway, cheers Rukh for dragging me out to Balmain. Always good to meet another AHBer! :beer:

EDIT: had to laugh... when I mentioned to the barmaid that it was from the North Coast, she said "Yeah, from the Murray River".

Agreed. The beer and company (including the sassy blonde) was good. Will catch up at a more accessible pub next time.

Rukh.

Snowy Mountain contract brews at AIB like many other of the "Micro's" on the market.

Murray if you get your beer on tap somewhere in Melbourne I promise I will go and have a couple!

I was at my sister-in-law's wedding on Friday up at Moby's on Whale Beach. Everyone was standing around drinking the bubbly, but as I was designated driver, I was waiting to savour a couple of glasses of red over dinner.

One girl came up and asked if I'd like anything other than bubbly, a beer perhaps. I asked what's on offer, to which she replied, anything we've got!
Up the top, amongst the usual Euro-swill, were a small but glorious selection of Crackenback, Murray's Nirvana Pale Ale, Sassy Blonde, and Matilda Bohemian Pilsner.

A damn shame i was driving, but damn it, I enjoyed every last drop of those 2 Murrays! (The nirvana was my fave).

I was at my sister-in-law's wedding on Friday up at Moby's on Whale Beach. Everyone was standing around drinking the bubbly, but as I was designated driver, I was waiting to savour a couple of glasses of red over dinner.

One girl came up and asked if I'd like anything other than bubbly, a beer perhaps. I asked what's on offer, to which she replied, anything we've got!
Up the top, amongst the usual Euro-swill, were a small but glorious selection of Crackenback, Murray's Nirvana Pale Ale, Sassy Blonde, and Matilda Bohemian Pilsner.

A damn shame i was driving, but damn it, I enjoyed every last drop of those 2 Murrays! (The nirvana was my fave).

Yep - I understand your shock.. I was walking down the main street of sleepy Sandgate (as far north of Brisbane as you can go whilst still being in brisbane) and there's a Murray's sign outside the local bottle shop...

:icon_offtopic:
Does snowy still contract out? I asked them about it when they were at the Newcastle Beer Festival at Warners at the Bay and they claimed they no longer contract it out and haven't done so for nearly twelve months.

Perhaps they were in denial, but I see no reason for them to lie about it given many people know they used to contract out their brews.

That's a good sign! I'm gonna have to start shopping around a few more boutique bottleo's and see if i can find some of the bottled versions of the Murrays beers. I tried the 6 different beers they had on tap at the Australian Beer Festival at the Rocks recently and they were all sensational!

I'm sure I spotted some Murrays at the Dan Murphy's in Wollooongabba the other night, so they're out there.

The Mr Corks big bottle-o on my way home from work has been changed to a Liquorland - half the stock levels disappeared and the beer selection went downhill too. At least the local Vintage Cellars has some good drops.

I too managed to spy the some Murrays at Dan Murphys on the weekend. I couldn't resist, so I bought a 4 pack of the Sassy Blonde and Nirvana Pale Ale.

Also managed to pick up a corked 750ml bottled of the Grand Cru and 2IPA at AL-Dente Wines in Hornsby Heights, which I was stoked about.

Murrays is brewed not that far from where I live. It is available in quite a few of the local bottlos, but I have not seen it on tap anywhere.
We also have a locally based micro-brewery, The Little Brewing Company, with their range of Wicked Elf. This is also available in a number of local bottlos, and is on tap in about 2 or 3 places.
Link here: http://www.thelittlebrewingcompany.com.au/

Murrays is brewed not that far from where I live. It is available in quite a few of the local bottlos, but I have not seen it on tap anywhere.

Warra
I am fairly certain that the Murrays beers are only available on tap at the Pub With No Beer, and one or 2 locations in Sydney. Hopefully they will put some more taps out there in future, but from my understanding, it is pretty hard to get a micro tap in a pub these days, as I am fairly sure the big boys have it almost completely shored up. I am sure that Mr Little had a bit of a battle to get his beers on tap up there in Port, though being local surely helped in that regard. I've dropped into the brewery there at Port before, and nobody was home, I am up that way every few weeks for work now, so will keep on trying, be good to have a chat with him about it all.
And if ya find any of the Murray's 750mL bottle range anywhere in port, you would probably do well to buy some, they are very good beers. Just to keep the post on topic :lol:
All the best
Trent

Trent,
Thanks for that. I have been to Taylors Arm, and the Pub with No Beer, but not since Murrays started. It is on my list of to do things, but having a bit of difficulty moving it up the priorities list with my good wife. I have bought the Murrays brews, and they are very good. Might make a go of it in a couple of weeks when my son is up here from Sydney, and we can leave my wife at home!
Cheers. :D

I've done a quick search and it doesn't look like anyone has reported the following info from their website-

Consistent with market demand, we will be expanding our operations again next year and plan to commence development of a new bar, restaurant and cellar door at Port Stephens Winery at Bobs Farm.

If you, like most people, dont know where Bobs Farm is, its 15 km from beautiful Nelson Bay at Port Stephens, a mere 30min drive from Newcastle, and less than 2 hours drive from Sydney.

The new development will allow us to offer a full range of Murrays beer on tap as well as a fantastic beer and food experience, together with a wholesale outlet where you can buy our beer.

Currently Port Stephens Winery stocks our beer for retail sale, but the new restaurant and bar will allow a greater number of people to enjoy the Murrays beer experience. Keep an eye on Murrays website for more details in the new year.

Although my family are in Coffs (not far from Taylors Arms), packaging Murray's with a winery close to Sydney will make it easier for my Minister of War & Finance to grant visitation rights.

Excellent! I certainly know where Bob's Farm is, I only live about 5 minutes drive from the winery. As soon as it opens I'll definitely come in for some tasting! This is great news for the Hunter Valley/Port Stephens area!

I want to know If I would be able to purchase kegs?

Excellent! I certainly know where Bob's Farm is, I only live about 5 minutes drive from the winery. As soon as it opens I'll definitely come in for some tasting! This is great news for the Hunter Valley/Port Stephens area!

Bloody north coast. When's all this good stuff coming down the south coast ??

G'day HKS and others,

Thanks for the feedback. We already have bottled beer at the Winery, and could probably sort kegs through there if you were keen. Please contact me off list if you'd like further info.

Thanks,

Shawn - from Murray's, definitely affiliated etc, etc...

Shawn you have a PM.

Cant wait until you guys are fully set up at the winery, I reckon id be taking dedicated trips just to get my elepahnt head pilsner, and icon 2ipa fixes.
:D

Latest posts

Back