A Piece Of History

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macr

Reaction score
I went to the John Lycett (Convict artist) showing at Newcastle art gallery yesterday and one of his water colours from 1825 was of an estate at kissing point. That estate was of one James Squires. The description told of his hop growing and his beer selling amongst other things.
History buffs may be interested. Newcastle brewers should take an opportunity to see a lot of paintings of Newcastle in the early 1800's.

Ryde Historical Society has a heap of photo of the "area" where Squires Brewery stood. I have seen some pics from just after WW1(taken by Wess Smith) that are supposed to show the old brewery buildings in the background. There were buildings that looked like they were about to fall over, but no way of verifying their original use. The Brewery & Inn were on the area of land between the rail bridge & the Ryde bridge, which I guess is best described as Meadowbank. There is a Porter St & Squire St just up from there, and James Squire's house is still standing up on Victoria Rd. Squire is reported to have owned all of the land south of Victoria Rd Between the Gladesville Bridge & the rail bridge at Meadowbank. The bell tower on the Monastry at Holy Cross College would have had a great view of this area, but it wasn't built until 1883, which is well after the brewery ceased operating. Maybe the Hills Brewers could do a mash demo in Meadowbank Park as a sort of re-enactment!
Cheers
Gerard

I went to the John Lycett (Convict artist) showing at Newcastle art gallery yesterday and one of his water colours from 1825 was of an estate at kissing point. That estate was of one James Squires. The description told of his hop growing and his beer selling amongst other things.
History buffs may be interested. Newcastle brewers should take an opportunity to see a lot of paintings of Newcastle in the early 1800's.

I was in town and walked past the art gallery on Tuesday evening and saw the sign, should have gone in for a look.

Cheers, Andrew.

Gerard,
Taken after WW1? That's nothin'.
Wes has pictures of Adam & Eve!

Wad

A 1000 odd acres he owned.
Malt Shovel Website said:
1795 When James was granted thirty acres at Kissing Point on 22 July 1795, he noticed other emancipists had not claimed the nearby land. Displaying his resourcefulness as the father of Australian brewing, James marched them into the Colonial Secretary's office to claim their land grants and then purchased each property for one shilling. By 1806, the Squire estate stretched across one thousand acres, from the current Gladesville Bridge to the Ryde Rail Bridge and from the harbour to north of Victoria Road.
http://www.malt-shovel.com.au/JamesSquire.asp

I was in town and walked past the art gallery on Tuesday evening and saw the sign, should have gone in for a look.
Cheers, Andrew.
Should of, it is quite a good collection. So get up to anything interesting in Newcastle? What do you think of the place?

Gerard,
Taken after WW1? That's nothin'.
Wes has pictures of Adam & Eve!

Wad

Pete
I know the pics you are referring to. They were submitted for use in the first edition of The Bible, but were later shown to be fake as Adam had a belly button! Wess became a bit of a recluse after this.
Gerard

Well we know where James got his hop supply.
HMS Porpoise 1798
Sir Joseph Banks, under instructions from the Lords Commissioners of the Treasury on 22 June 1798, arranged a selection of culinary and medicinal plants, fruit trees and vines, plants for fodder, trees for timber, hops for brewing and other plants which he considered useful or necessary to the colony.

Pete
I know the pics you are referring to. They were submitted for use in the first edition of The Bible, but were later shown to be fake as Adam had a belly button! Wess became a bit of a recluse after this.
Gerard

Don't you mean beer belly rather than belly button?

Don't you mean beer belly rather than belly button?

POL please finish this sentence

Adam would not have a belly button because.......

Now how hard would it be to do a recreation of a James Squire brew in Meadowbank park? WillM is probably the nearest all grainer to the spot where JS set up.
Maybe we could just organise an afternoon at the new Hooters bar at Parramatta instead!!
Cheers
Gerard

Cheers, Andrew.
Should of, it is quite a good collection. So get up to anything interesting in Newcastle? What do you think of the place?

Quiet night at the Crowne Plaza was all that transpired, just up for one night to visit my boss.

Love Newcastle one of the few other places fit for habitation - lived there from '90-94 BC (before children) and had a great time.

Cheers, Andrew.

Back