A Newbies Encyclopedia To Terminology

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

delboy

Reaction score
it seems as a newbie i still have alot to learn and part of that is terminology and temps as pointed out in a few posts. I agree building beer is not an easy task and the steps needed to brew well also plays a big factor.
has anybody ever put in together a newbies guide to mashing? i think it would be a good idea .
it would mention terminology , and steps to doing say your first simple mash .
saying that there must be a fool proof way of helping out a newbie.
it dose not need to be a complex beer just a fine example of a simple ale or tasty larger

i have noticed there are lots of hbc's on this forum maybe they could do a simple mash and one of the club members write it down and then proof read and set it as a guide to mashing .Abit like a model kit instructions
i think alot of newbies like my self would benifit from this . i myself cannot always get to a brew day due to distance .
also with the terminology there seems to be alot of acronims in this forum that could be explaind as well.
eg: DBS= dark brown sugar
HERMS= ???????
HLT= hot liqour tank?
and the list goes on I dont know the half of them and this is why i get a little confused and miss read stuff .
call me an idiot ! thats ok, :blink: but never accuse me of not wanting to learn :angry:

your thoughts and inputs on this would be of great help?

thanks lads
delboy :party:

There's heaps of information out there to answer all your questions you just got to go look for it. Try google or the search engine in this forum. Or another good website is john palmers' how to brew.
Unfortunately beer brewing information aint gonna come up and bite you on the bum, you have to go find it.

Vlbaby.

HERMS= Heat Exchange Recirculating Mash System.

As for a basic beginner's guide, mash your grain with water into a porridge and strain the liquid. Boil it and add hops. Cool it and add yeast. When the yeast have finished you've got beer.

Anything other than that is detail, aimed towards improving that beer.

It's really worth having a read of http://www.howtobrew.com.

Hope this helps!

The only one you really need to know is: RDWHAHB

delboy if you can get to brewday it be good as they are the odd few homebrewer having a few brewers over watching

okay well i guess i have all the links now thanks chaps i willbook mark this thread and do some printing and reading .i think i know what i have to do but the terminologies is what get you like another language well it come with any new venture (DA LINGO)

THANKS ALL DELBOY

The Palmer book is a good place to start. A simple guide to your first mash with stacks of pictures to make it easy is here or perhaps here

There are lots of recipes here and the 10 easiest beer styles here.

Hope they are of help to you.

Cheers
Stuart

There ya go Delboy. The Fools & Horses guide to mashing in 4 pages.

That's how I made my first AG beer back in 1997 because it was all the information I had. The beer was a totally shite Pale Ale that was infected and overhopped. Nonetheless I really enjoyed it. :beerbang:

Moral to the story. :unsure: Great forums like this were unavailable back in '97. Things could/did get better.

Read on in bewilderment at the PDF or read on in comfort on the AHB. :lol:

Warren -

View attachment MASHING.pdf

hey warren your not being horrable to me are you ?

no i think constructive is the word , i know i am no expert in this feild but i need all the help i can get .
bain marie warren bain marie my son LoL

i feel more like a rodney than a delboy at the moment LoL

anyway thanks for the pionters
gee you need a good sense of humore some times and big shoulders .

delboy

Back