A New Dry Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not with the approval of the manufacturer or if they want to continue selling their products here.
Huh? I think I'm missing something; aren't you allowed to do that? I thought it was a fairly common practice. Like with S-189.

Yes can be done.

Craftbrewer do it as said in my previous post.

Just can't use the manufacturer label brand or code.

Huh? I think I'm missing something; aren't you allowed to do that? I thought it was a fairly common practice. Like with S-189.
Yes can be done.

Craftbrewer do it as said in my previous post.

Just can't use the manufacturer label brand or code.
This is a partial quote from an email sent (to me from Lallemand Australia Pty Ltd) when I was asking about the availability of home-brew sized quantities of their yeast here in Australia:
"Lallemand does not approve nor endorse the pack down of our yeast, as this practice severally compromises the product integrity and product quality. This is the reason why you are no longer able to source these packed down products through companies ..."

Lallemand produce Lalvin and Danstar yeast.
If retailers sell pack-down yeast, I would suggest it is sourced from a different company.

I still don't properly follow - I had assumed the companies in question (Fermentis, Lallemand or whoever) didn't approve, or they would provide the yeast in smaller quantities themselves. But unless I'm missing something there is nothing stopping a retailer from re-packaging from a 500g brick themselves, right?

I still don't properly follow - I had assumed the companies in question (Fermentis, Lallemand or whoever) didn't approve, or they would provide the yeast in smaller quantities themselves. But unless I'm missing something there is nothing stopping a retailer from re-packaging from a 500g brick themselves, right?
What you're missing is what they're really saying: they'll not sell their product to retailers that they know (will, do or intend to) pack-down their product.

However, all that has nothing to do with if, when, or where the new yeast will be available in Australia in the usual small home-brew manufacturer packed sized yeast-packs - if they want to sell the stuff here I can't imagine it will not be supplied in the usual small manufacturer packed size at the usual outlets.

Cool story bro. Back in reality, the shit happens, and will happen with this yeast too.

This is a partial quote from an email sent (to me from Lallemand Australia Pty Ltd) when I was asking about the availability of home-brew sized quantities of their yeast here in Australia:
"Lallemand does not approve nor endorse the pack down of our yeast, as this practice severally compromises the product integrity and product quality. This is the reason why you are no longer able to source these packed down products through companies ..."

Lallemand produce Lalvin and Danstar yeast.
If retailers sell pack-down yeast, I would suggest it is sourced from a different company.

I can buy a brick of yeast and repack it if I want to, that's what craftbrewer do.
You just need to re-name the yeast.

For the record I do buy repacked yeast from craftbrewer and as yet I have not have a problem and I'm happy with it.

Batz

I can buy a brick of yeast and repack it if I want to, that's what craftbrewer do.

For the record I do buy repacked yeast from craftbrewer and as yet I have not have a problem and I'm happy with it.

Batz

I would assume it's repacked under sanitary conditions.

Thats something I would like to know. Danstar etc use clean rooms for packaging. They do not operate breweries or HB stores.

Repackaging several different yeasts on the same equipment would be fraught with problems

tnd

So would I Nick.

Many moons ago I bought a brick of Nottingham and used it for perhaps 2 1/2 years, it was stored in a Tupperwarere type container in the fridge. When needed it just spooned some out, now I'm not saying this is good practice as it's not, but I did it when I first started using the stuff around 14 years ago and it worked fine. Way back then it was hard to buy yeast at all other than some malt-craft crap and the price was ridiculous for one off packs.

I don't want to get into an argument over repacked yeast, if you don't like it don't buy it, simple.

Sorry for getting off topic.

Batz

I have done the same before (check the bulk buys from a year or two ago) and have purchased and used packed down (even without the name changed) yeast without any complaints or problems. It's something that gives customers a wider choice of yeast strains in quantities that home brewers need rather than the 500g blocks that are over-kill for most of us.

But that still does not change the fact that the local distributor of Danstar yeast does not allow, or sell to shops that pack-down their product - which is what the question posted earlier in this thread was about. As I said earlier, I fully expect that you'll find that the Craftbrewer products are sourced from a different company - as the yeast descriptions on their website would suggest.

Lallemand yeast - in small manufacturer packed quantities - is also available from many overseas vendors or Ebay so that is another option if they do not release this new product in small packs locally.

I have done the same before (check the bulk buys from a year or two ago) and have purchased and used packed down (even without the name changed) yeast without any complaints or problems. It's something that gives customers a wider choice of yeast strains in quantities that home brewers need rather than the 500g blocks that are over-kill for most of us.

But that still does not change the fact that the local distributor of Danstar yeast does not allow, or sell to shops that pack-down their product - which is what the question posted earlier in this thread was about. As I said earlier, I fully expect that you'll find that the Craftbrewer products are sourced from a different company - as the yeast descriptions on their website would suggest.

Lallemand yeast - in small manufacturer packed quantities - is also available from many overseas vendors or Ebay so that is another option if they do not release this new product in small packs locally.

Fair comment Wofly, and I have bought yeast from craftbrew under the belief it was Danstar yeast and I still believe it is. I suppose only Ross can confirm this.

A few years ago I did help him repack some with another member here, that was Danstar for sure.

batz

Fair comment Wofly, and I have bought yeast from craftbrew under the belief it was Danstar yeast and I still believe it is. I suppose only Ross can confirm this.

A few years ago I did help him repack some with another member here, that was Danstar for sure.

batz

Since I often brew very small batches (<15L) I have often split individual yeast packs into two, and have been advised against this here, even though I am reasonably paranoid while doing it (open sanatised pack, sprinkle out required amount, squeeze out air and seal), there's no way I'm doing it hermetically sealed - but I've never had an issue and will continue to use repacked yeasts (or use repacked, repacked yeasts).

It's a pity that we can't buy say, 150g packs - especially for lager yeasts where pitching volumous amounts would be great if it were cheaper.

Are the 500g lots much cheaper?

this was a reason i was given for d-47 not being availble in small packets.from what i was told by a supplier was that they got caught out repacking it and lalvin found out and refused to sell to them the yeast from then on. i still get it repacked from more beer though so not sure on the validity of the story, and it still makes a great mead!

I'd like a no-esters Ale yeast that flocked like a trouper. US05 is a cloudy bitch. S04 is an estery bugger with a lazy streak.

Bring it on Danstar!

I had good success with Nottingham cool (15oC or so) and it finishes out no problems, drops like a stone and clean as US-05.

What were your experiences with it?

I had good success with Nottingham cool (15oC or so) and it finishes out no problems, drops like a stone and clean as US-05.

What were your experiences with it?

Sorry to but in - I like Notts, great yeast.

My only grip with it, is that it tends to be less favourable to high hopping than US-05. Which is fine when doing English style Pale Ales, Bitters and the like - where hop flavour and aroma aren't high on the agenda.

But whacked in a APA/AIPA - it tends to strip flavour aroma, especially late kettle additions, to the point where I up the hopping rates to compensate.

But it is clean, floccs way better and works down to about 12 degrees, whilst still munching at a fair clip.

Goomba

Back